hermit crab leprasy?????

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Meagan, Jul 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Meagan

Meagan Plankton

I havent had hermit crabs for very long and I only have 1 now, I had 2 but one got sick or something. He wouldnt come out his shell for anything. I'd drop him in water and he wouldnt come out but he wasnt dead because he'd still be holding onto his shell and eventually he'd be holding on a little less and a little less and he wouldnt eat and he wouldnt drink. At first I thought that he needed a bigger shell but how can that be when I'd only had him for 3 weeks or so? I saw him change into the shell right before I got him. I was pretty discouraged but I thought "at least I still have cuddles" (my other crab) and yesterday I look at my little crabby pal and I notice that his legs had fallen off and I started freaking ever since then. I've heard something about molting but I didnt think that legs falling off of his body was part of it or what. So is my crab just molting and I'm an idiot for freaking out, or is my Cuddles dying from some kind of terrible disease like hermit leprasy or something? Help me PLEASE!!

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Meagan,

Welcome and what kind of hermit crabs do you have? Is this a reef or fish only tank? All the information you can provide will be most helpful.

4. Meagan

Meagan Plankton

he is a purple pincher and I have no idea what a reef or a fish only tank is, like I said, I'm kinda new at this, but what he is in is just a simple plastic terrarium, and also, I just got back from out of town and i took him with me... does that help any?

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

So I am Taking it that this hermit crab is the type that lives on land not in the water then correct?
    If so then I am unsure that we can be of help as this is a salt water fish/reef Forum so lets see Can somebody help her?
    [glow=red,2,300]ANYBODY????????????? [/glow] I have no clue myself :).... John

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

7. Meagan

Meagan Plankton

Thanks for the site... I've been looking for some anwsers all day. I don't know how many different forums that I've been too looking for help but I finally found an anwser. Since I took him with me out of town which I wouldnt have if I knew that I'd only be gone 4 days (I was supposed to be gone a month) all the stress from riding 8 hours to Oklahoma and then 4 days later 8 hours back, his legs fell off which I found out is pretty much a sure thing that my little guy is gonna die because he lost more than 1 or something like that. Thank you for all of your help even though this is a salt-water website but I was desperate and I wanted anwsers

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Meagan,

Nice picture of you swimming near a beautiful reef! ;)

That is the kind of reef scene, minus the human swimmer, we try to create in a reef tank.  Take a look in the photo gallery to get an idea of what we're about.

Sorry to hear about the duress of your land hermit crab.  I know when they get stressed they sacrifice their legs as they die slowly, trying to protect their core.

If you want to graduate to our wonderful passion for saltwater, or just learn a little more about the hobby, we're here to help.

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Thank You John for giving her that link I felt so bad for the kid :'( but I didn't know what to tell her. I never had a land hermit crab and I know nothing about them............. John

Meagan, I hope Cuddles gets better for you and I wish I could have been more help :(............ John

11. Meagan

Meagan Plankton

thanks alot you guys,Cuddles died last night and who could live after losing 4 legs...that would be like me losing both arms and both legs.But I've always wanted some saltwater fish because there is a bigger variety of pretty fish that you can have, but I'm not sure about this but I think that having a salt-water aquarium is more costly and requires more than what I'd have to do for a goldfish.... but this site is awesome and if I don't end up getting any fish, then I'll have a good start on exploring and learning about different kinds of ocean fish because I'm interested in being a Marine Biologist or zoologist something that has to do with animals..... Thanks again... Meagan

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Meagan, I am so sorry about Cuddles :'(but I am glad that you are thinking about starting something new, There is a lot to salt water fish and yes it is costly but if you do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions and take your time I am sure that you will do fine. And if you ever need any help!! Well you already know were to come. Good luck with your plans of being a Marine Biologist 8) ;) ;D...... John