Hermit crab attached to another, fighting?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by We$, Aug 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

So I came home tonight and flipped on my bedroom lights and say one of my hermit crabs attached to the front of another one, wasnt sure what they were doing so I picked one up which lifted both and it took a little shaking to make it release..

What is going on here haha?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

nothing to worry about, one is probably just trying to kill the other for either meat or the shell.

4. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

Figured that, he must have been the culprit in the death of a different hermit in the tank as well.

Btw while were here are astrea snails a good or bad addition to a tank cleaning crew? Saw someone complain they thought they ate coraline algae

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I like them, If they do eat corralline they never ate enough of it to make a difference in my tanks. If you want something that eat coralline get a urchin.

coralline isn't all its cracked up to be in newbie circles, its a nusiance algae really.

6. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

I had a guy that wanted to sell me his urchin along with the pair of clowns he sold me. Just didnt have the room for it really.

Btw ever heard of a clown jumping out of a tank? I had a little space at the end of one of my lids and to my dismay when I returned from vacation I found one had jumped and was dead underneath the tank :(

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

actually no never, but any fish will jump if something in or about the tank is bothering them enough.

8. Click Here!

9. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

Yea not sure why it would have, there were two clowns and two blue green chromis that have been living together for 5+ years.

Edit: Do you think I can pick up another juvenile clown and add to to make a pair again? Or will the older one reject it?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010