Here's a new one

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by david, Aug 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

O.K. check this thing out I found it crawling along the front glass
    on the tank today! Once again I have a crappy pic but it was the best of 15 I took.So I'll try to descibe it good. It was white and looked pretty much like a little beetle bug. Slowly, very slowly moving along. I could see a couple little antennae on it's head witch made it look even more like a beetle any guesses any one?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

amphipod?

[​IMG]

plenty of 'pod' threads if you do a search.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

No Matt I think by the Picture it's a Clown fish HAHA

Ya got to be a pod

J

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

There are so many possibilities with the diversity of infauna that exists in the ocean. Amphpod or copodod are pretty safe bets. If it doesn't have claws or fangs its pretty reef safe.

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

No really guys it wasn't one of those there are a thousand of those everywhere in my tank this was something different it looked like a beetle bug not a little clear shrimp I've never seen one and well I don't know how to explain it any better little white beetle bug I need to get a better camera but now I think I'm going to sell my amp to buy lighting I never "plug-in" anymore anyway!

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

O.K. I saw this thing again, and I watched it for a while. I know what it is. It's a baby snail! Do snails often reproduce in home aquriums? Because thats definately what it is!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hehe. :)

Mystery solved, eh?

Yes - some snails reproduce. I think Jakets brought this up a while back but his snail eggs became fish food.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Stometella, they look like mini abalones. Thats what we determined his were. I've been think about this, and I think you've got a small chiton. I'll need to dig a pic of one uo for you. The look similiar to snails, appearing to have a shell and foot. Describe the critter in more detail, what does the shell look like? Color, l.ines, etc. all would be very helpful. Do you know what a pill bur aka a salbug looks like? A chiton looks like a cross of one of those and a snail.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I know, I know, I've been ruuning around on all the other boards telling every one that the ctitter they're asking for an id on is a chiton, but I truly do belive thats what he's looking at.

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Hey, my avatar looks better with a black background, I need to watch when I post, as not to get the blue section.