Helping the "cycle"

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Birchell, Jan 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Hey there,

I was woundering if anyone has had any luck with putting additives to the tank to help speed up the cycle?? Is this stuff just a temp fix, or does it really help populate a tank with bacteria?

Michael

2. Click Here!

3. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

The best thing that can "help" the cycle is water and media from a good cycled tank. Once the bacteria frome that are in your tank, then they need food. Some use a small piece of raw shrimp to speed this up. The use of live sand and cured rocks can speed up the process alittle. The use of those bottled bacteria gets mixed reviews. If you keep your water at a stable tmep and ph and give it a little "seeding" from a cycled tank, then it shouldn't take long to get going. Best of luck.

4. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

When I set up my friends tank two summers ago we set up his sump and external refegium and had water going from the sump to the refegium at 50 gph then when the tank got all plumbed whe hooked up the overflow and turned on the main pump. It seemed to help but could have just been lucky.

5. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Personally speaking, I'm a firm believer of "letting it be" for as long as it takes (usually 4-6 weeks) when it comes to cycling a new tank. I don't believe in speeding up anything which has to run a natural course.

JMHO !

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

let nature take its course
    :)

7. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I believe the same. It takes a tank 4-6 weeks to cycle without aditives, and 1 to 1.5 months with additives!!lol

8. Click Here!

9. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

i used "stability" when i set up my 95G. My tank never cycled with 110# live rock. I added yellow tang 2 weeks after setup, never got any ammonia spike.
    I did buy the pre-cured live rock from premium aquatics, that may of had something to do with it also.

10. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

See that is what im seeing. I set the tank up 2 weeks ago friday, and Ive yet to see a spike!! I have two damsels in there, and they are doing great. Ive been testing the water every few days. Im not trying to rush this, I was just conserned that there was something wrong. I guess the seconde time is smoother than the first, lol. Im still gonna wait a week or 2 before adding anymore fish, but even then it will be like one or two clowns. This new tank is tesing my skills, lol. Ive been reading for over a year on saltwater, and this tank seems to take me in turns, but I love it. I like new stuff. Well Ill just keep testing and use my judgment on when will be the best time to add the fish. Thanks,

Michael