Help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by FishManDan, Aug 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FishManDan

FishManDan Plankton

i have had a 65 gallon reef tank with 60 pounds of live rock for about 9 months now. i have crushed coral and i am wondering if i should take it all out and replace it with live sand. if so should i take everything out including the water, fish, and corals?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You probably would need to take it out if you siphon the coral with each water change weekly. Otherwise I have seen where it was suggested to change it out 1/4 at a time. That would involve moving some rock while doing it. No need to replace with live sand just save some money and get dry sand. Removing it is good to keep from generating nitrates.

4. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

After 9 months, your crushed coral is now a "live" bed, at least for bacteria to help with the nitrogen cycle.

If you are looking for more BIO-diversity, then obtaining a sample from a fellow reefer's established system would accomplish that.

Is there something specific you need to address?

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Why do you want to replace the crushed coral?
    Your crushed coral is live!
    Is there a reason for you changing over to live sand...aestetics?

6. FishManDan

FishManDan Plankton

the top of the cc keeps getting brown hair algae. and from what i here live sand is better in the tank. do you think a change is pointless?

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Unless you have live stock in the tank (or hope to purchase some) which requires a finer substrate, then there's not much reason to change...what you have is good and helps with buffering your chemistry changes.

Algae problems can be mitigated with a stronger clean up crew...if they are not dinner for the other tank mates...

8. Click Here!

9. FishManDan

FishManDan Plankton

well i just purchased a gobi who eats the sand and i was not sure if he will be effected by the cc.

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I think for now, yes, pointless. Your tank at 9 months is just starting to really season. The algae will subside if you don't over feed and add a phosphate reactor and skimmer if you already haven't.

11. Danhodl

Danhodl Flamingo Tongue

I agree with uncleted, i pretty much went through the same thing and just watching my water quality and adjusting feeding/water changes along with a goby munching, it slowly went away. i have fine figi sand and im wishing i had something more coarse like crushed coral, i may add some in the future