help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by keifer905, Apr 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I believe his reasoning is having a skimmer removes all algae. Skimmers are just one piece of the puzzle dude. Less feeding, less lighting, more removal of the algae and and a fuge or po4 reactor.

2. Click Here!

3. keifer905

keifer905 Peppermint Shrimp

no i just cant figure anything else out ive cut down feeding ALOT i cut 2 hrs off my light cycle we scrub the rocks clean during water cahnges but the algae grows back even more than the last time

4. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I've read this thread and I'm now confused on your tank setup. why do you scrub your rock? do you have LR or decor? if LR then do NOT scrub.
    Good start cutting back feeding and lighting. Now get a reading on both Phos and Nitrate --- both should be zero (undetectable). Not sure what you mean by skimmer is not working.. describe what it is doing (is it producing bubbles in reactor, are you getting any skimate (wet/dry), is it producing champlain bubbles in the tank, how long has it been running, ect...). do you have any grazing fish or cuc?

What type of water are you using when doing a water change and top off? RODI??? if not this is one reason for your GHA.

as posted b4 me quick way to rid GHA is getting a reactor. I too have 2 from BRS (1x carbon, 1x GFO) and within a weeks time no more GHA. you need to absorb the phos in your tank and running GFO will do so.
    just need a lil more info..
    - note the GFO reactor wont eliminate what is causing you phos it will just remove it as it is being produced.. its only an Advil to your backache.

5. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

You should look into why you skimmer isn't working. That will greatly help get stuff out of the water before it breaks down into food for the algae. How old are your bulbs. Are you using tap water? How many times are you feeding per week? How's the macro look? Is it growing?

Any other params you can supply? What type of food are you using and how much when you feed?

I had bad gha/byprosis but I raised my magnesium and that took care of it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. keifer905

i use ro water
    i have lr
    my nitrates are 0 not sure bout phos
    not sure bulb age
    i have a golden tonga blenny that eats some

7. keifer905

nothing is working

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

patience. If there was alot of phoshpate in your water there is alot in your rock. It will take time to leach them out keeping good parameters with little to no phosphates. Its either that of cook it and cure it for a while

10. keifer905

well the algae is getting worse

11. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

run a full test kit lower your lights alittle more and a skimmer is just 1 piece that helps keep the tank in balance generally with a cyano or gha outbreak something is out of whack.

12. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

What I would do if I were you is to not worry. Once the algae gets bigger and you can pull it out in clumps, do that every so often. Your blenny should eat the rest. Pics of the problem would help too so we know what you're dealing with. One mans "a lot" is another mans "hardly any".

You need to let your tank come back into equilibrium, and help it out by removing trapped nitrates and phosphates. (you're doing this by pulling out the algae every so often) I also wouldn't add any more supplements etc.

Also, check out google and other threads/sites on the internet that has to do with algae and ways other people have stopped it. If you don't know the age of your bulbs and you can't remember the last time you changed them, it might be a good idea to invest in some new ones.