Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by melissagarza, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. melissagarza

melissagarza Plankton

I have had my 55g tank for about 4 years but am not an expert. I usually have gold fish and currently have a small fantail and a several zebra, which I have had for over a year. The amonia level is fine but don't have a full on water testing kit. I just purchased a fairly large oranda on Friday, and aclimated him really good. The guy said he liked to swim upside down and saw him doing it.....no problem. But after about an hour being home today I notice he was not turning over and his mouth wasn't moving and then he was dead. The other fish all seem fine, the zebras have been hanging out on the top(not sure if this means anything). I did do some vacumming, new water and new filters this weekend. Could it have been that or could the new fish have been sick???

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't know squat about freshwater. In fact, I don't have a clue what an Oranda is.

However, I wanted to say sorry about your loss and WELCOME TO 3REEF.

Someone with freshwater knowledge should come around to help you. If freshies are like salties, then it likely had swim bladder problems when you bought it.

4. melissagarza

melissagarza Plankton

Thanks Curt, that is very sweet.

5. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    sound like swim bladder to me. i have a 75 fresh that has been running for about 3 years with live plants and drift wood (it is a rainbow tank).i have been keeping fresh water tanks for years now. and just to ask, why do you have gold fish with trropicals? just curious

6. melissagarza

melissagarza Plankton

Like I said I am not an expert and just always bought community fish. Should I try to get a refund from the store?

7. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    if the tank has no other "gold fish" then you should keep it tropical. tetras, rainbow fish and the sort. but if you have gold fish and have been keeping them in that tank with your other fish then do what you do best. and yes get a refund from the store. it had the problem when they sold it to you. the person that sold it to you telling you that it likes to swim upside down was mistaken.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. melissagarza

melissagarza Plankton

Thanks!!!

Do you know if the zebras staying at the top means anything?

10. tmgrash

tmgrash Astrea Snail

get a refund

Fish dont like to swim upside down, unless they are an upside down cat or some other confused species, get a refund. Changing the water and the filter media could cause another mini cycle for the bacteria to "re-group" (depending on the severity of the change), which could account for the fish near the surface (along with ph level and dissovled O2 level).
    I would personally avoid keeping goldfish with tropicals. Their requirements are very different. Goldfish also have special requirements in terms of filtration as well because the eat a ton and therfore produce a lot of ammonia.
    Welcome to 3reef, fairly new here myself.

Good luck
    Travis

1 person likes this.
  11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

See. I told you someone with knowledge would be around to help you.

Karma to Monkey and Tmgrash

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef!!!!
    As for the Zebra Danios, I believe you are talking about, the like swimming towards the top of the tank. As for the Oranda, I would take it back to the store and try to get a refund. Also bring in a water sample in a seperate bag for them to check your parameters...plus many times they won't give you a refund without testing your water first!!!!!!
    Sorry to hear about the death of the fish...no one likes to see that or have that happen! Best of luck with your tank in the future and at the pet shop with the return if you decide to take it back...