Help

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Scuba, Jan 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

heres some pics of spagetti worms

spagetti wroms

there tenacles can come in white, yellow, pink, and orange. i have tons of the white ones but have found a pink and orange one in the past.

emerald crabs are usually pretty safe. i havent found much info on it but i did run across a small article a while back there are actually 2 species of emerald crabs sold. one is solid green and the other has red in the joints of the legs. the ones with the red seem to be the safer species of the 2 where the solid green ones are the type that become bigger and may go after other inhabitants. i have only bought the ones with red joints and so far only seen them eat alges and not bother fish, or inverts.

2. Click Here!

3. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

We got a small emerald crab in September of last year. In a matter of a couple of months he grew huge and aggressive. To the point that it was noticeable that he was stressing out most of the other tankmates. He would creep up on our blue green chromis at night, and claw at him. >:(

I hated the hostility and traded him for a smaller one. But getting the big bastard out of the tank was a mission. We ended up moving all the LR around to be able to bag him. Now this little guy has been really cool
    eating tons of algae, and he's even molted in the tank.

The interesting thing is that after having the crab for a while, we decided to get a Coral Banded Shrimp (CBS) under the impression that he would help clean the tank of parasites and diseases. My mistake. This guy was horrible, snapping at anything that came near him, tricking fish into his claws using his antennas for bait.
    The messed up part is that shortly after getting the CBS I noticed that the emerald crab was missing one of his little legs. Then one night I actually caught them duking it out. And the little emerald was just as aggressive as the CBS(or more aggressive).

After doing some research I learned my lessons: 1. Emerald crabs grow and get mean. 2. CBS and any other crustaceans don't make good tank buddies.

4. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

I got spaghetti worms, they have yellow tentacles and some have black stripes. They are really thin though, hairlike, not like what Scuba is talking about. When the worms come out of their holes they are a nice neon green color.

That's what they look like in my tank.

I took a pic. It's a little fuzzy sorry.
    http://www.3reef.com/uploads/Spaghetti.JPG

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=karlas link=board=Inverts;num=1074998072;start=0#10 date=01/30/04 at 07:06:32]there are actually 2 species of emerald crabs sold. one is solid green and the other has red in the joints of the legs. the ones with the red seem to be the safer species of the 2 where the solid green ones are the type that become bigger and may go after other inhabitants. i have only bought the ones with red joints and so far only seen them eat alges and not bother fish, or inverts.[/quote]

Thanks Karla, very good information!

6. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Mine is definitely no a spaghetti worm, it has built is home on the outside of the rock and the arms are almost clear and very fine.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid