HELP

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by 00nothing, Oct 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 00nothing

00nothing Astrea Snail

the other day i added a bubble coral and now my whole tank looks like ass my cleaner shrimp died and the bubble coral looks like a naked old lady it sagging so bad the bubble was a little sick before i got him but he was bouncing back

how do u know when a coral is dead

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds bad.
    What kind of lighting do you have?

4. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Hello There.. I thought I might just jump into this one as I too have a problem with my bubble coral. I have had one for about a year now and the "bubbles" have shrunk quite a bit. In fact , half of the Bubble coral has shrunk right into itself (in its hard body) but the other half is slowly coming up but never really "blooms". Is this a dead bubble coral ?

Don't really know what to do as all my other corals seem fine and healthy. This one is just not blooming as it should.

Anyone know whay is happening ?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

00nothing and markgsiy, can we get a little more tank info from you? Water test results, temperature, lighting, etc.?

6. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

These are my water tests results as of today.

PH 8.6
    Nitrate 0.00
    Ammonia 0.00
    Phosphate 0.2
    Silica about 1.0
    Currently using phosphate sponge to remove silica
    Temperature 79-82 F
    Lighting dual CF 55W plus 1 30W Actinic
    CF stays on for 12hrs
    Actinic stays on for 14hrs
    Last Water change approx 10% last week using "Tap Water Filter" Filtered water

Will take a picture of it and post it next.

7. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Sorry for the extra post... here is a picture of my bubble coral. Keep in mind that I have had it for about a year now and this is about the worst it has ever looked.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ugh Mark, that Bubble is hurting!

Judging by the clam, I take it you have it near the bottom. In my old tank, I had mine a couple inches from the top and near the overflow. It liked it there. It also seemed to like iodine as I recall. I had a halide lamp too.

Point is, I think you should move it. ;) :)

Hope it's not too late.

10. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

Hi there

I have to agree with Matt. I think the problem is not enough light. I too have a bubble coral, but under a 400 watt MH bulb and 3 VHO's at 95w. I also have read that they light moderate to high light and feed at night when their tentacles are out. ;)

11. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Thanks ppl. Right now it is about mid-depth. It is on a rock outcrop I made for my clam as there is not a lot of current here. I am not sure where to move it though as the higher it goes, the more current there is as I have 2 powerheads that circulate water at the upper 3/4 depth.

I may have to move to MH as I only have CF's right now, although I had the impression that Bubble Corals like these don't need high intensity light ?

Iodide might be the problem as I have actually stopped using it as I thought Iodiide was the reason for my algae bloom. I think I will go back to using it. BTW, I have been using 2ml Iodide per week on my tank, is this enough or should I increase it ?

Thanks you guys.. this is one great site with a lot of knowlegable ppl !!

Mark

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Mark I'd get an iodine test kit as too much over NSW can be bad too from what I hear (excess molting, etc.).

I'd still move that coral up too.

Good luck!