Help!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ashlee, Jun 1, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashlee

Ashlee Plankton

This is the second time one of my clown fish have mysteriously gone missing.

I have - excuse me...HAD! - 2 clown fish, a fire shrimp, Kenya tree, and mini carpet

Who's the culprit?!?!? I have a murderer!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

different scenarios... but first please list your water parameters....

1) if you dont have a lid the clown may have carpet surfed, check around the tank for his corps
    2) if you have a drain line leading to a sump he may have finished in there some how....
    3) if your water is off and the fish died, or of it died from aggression during the night you may have a hitchhiker crab cleaning the remains or it could be the fire shrimp doing the cleaning too
    4) carpet nems are known to eat fish but i doubt its the culprit in this case
    5) it could just be hiding till it feels more secure

4. Ashlee

Ashlee Plankton

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    pH 8.0
    Nitrate 5 ppm
    Calcium 400-480
    Salinity - 1.0215 but that's a swing arm hydrometer, so general ball park.

Lid is always on, besides feeding or water change. No where on the floor or back chambers. This is the second time one of my clowns has gone missing

5. Swisswiss

then im guessing aggression-crab/shrimp cleaning.... so this is the second clown you add? is it the same one that survived both disappearances? did you buy a similar sized clown?

6. Ashlee

Ashlee Plankton

I originally bought 2. One was a tiny bit bigger, and that's the one that went missing the first time.

So then I was left with one.

Got another one that was a tad bit bigger as well, and now that one has gone missing too.

7. Swisswiss

Thats strange, usually the dominant female (the bigger one) is the one doing the bullying. Same species all three yeah?

8. Click Here!

9. Ashlee

Ashlee Plankton

Yep! All from the same LFS too.

I'm just baffled on what happened to my fish. It happened between 430-10pm today. I fed them before I left, came back and saw only my little clown. It's driving me up a wall. Lid is always on, and back chambers were the first place I checked. Just gone

10. Swisswiss

It could be in hiding, dont take your tank apart looking for it though as you may stress it out more if its actually still alive