help

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Alec, Dec 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alec

Alec Astrea Snail

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I wouldn't scrimp on lighting. You will want a fixture with individual reflectors of with a formed reflector that looks like this "WW". Aquaticlife is a good brand that is reasonably priced with good OEM bulbs. Your ATI bulb selection is excellent.

4. Alec

Alec Astrea Snail

Thanks! I was thinkig that was a little cheap for a light. Thanks I will get the aquaticlife.

5. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

why not just add $50 more to that and get LED's? full spectrum, almost no heat, no need for bulb changes... you can try the reefbreeders or reefradiance value fixtures

6. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

How big is your tank? That will make a huge difference in the lighting that would be most suitable.

7. Alec

Alec Astrea Snail

Here is my set up

Water / Salt. From Coralife Pure-Flow II 4 stage 50gpd Ro Unit / Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

DT. 90gallon DT (will have1/2-1in sand bed and 110lbs live rock) it has 2 overflows one leads to 20 gallon sump with a Seaclone protein skimmer rated for 100gallon tank and 5oz of activated carbon. Other leads to a 55 gallon tank with 5in DSB that tank has a overflow box leading to a 40gallon tank with 2 x 5600k lights on my macro algae (Chaetomorpha).

Lighting. on DT 48 Inch AquaticLife fixture it has 2x150 Watt HQI / R7S HID, 4x54 Watt T5 HO Lights, w/ 4 Lunar LEDs.

Flow. DT has 2x marineland maxi-jet 160gph powerheads and 2x return pumps putting in 300gph each. DSB tank has 2x marineland circulation pump 500gph each and algae tank has one 500gph circulation pump.

Here is my plan.

Day 1: Set it up live rock 135lbs seeding a new 5in DSB 60lbs of which is live sand. Add Macro algae to its tank.

month 1: let the tank run in and have nothing in it. On 2nd week add reef pods and take live rock off of sand bed and put in DT.

Month 2: Add 1 Dartfish (firefish purple) and 1 soft coral and cleanup crew.

Month 3: Add another Dartfish (firefish red and 1 soft coral. (if can have 2 dartfish in a 90gallon. Have hurd they fight but not sure if would in such a big tank. What do you think?

Month 4 Add 1 Jawfish (yellowhead) if pod population is high enough. Add 2 feather dusters

Month 5: Monitor and maintain levels.

Month 6: If all is well Add bubble tip Anemone and an Ocellaris Clownfish a week or 2 after anemone.

Month 7: Add Dragonet Mandarin and more corals. (mushroom or soft)

Month 8: Add a Tridacan clam if i have keept the calcium at the required levels. Add a nother Dragonet Mandarin and 2 Harlequin Shrimp

After that IDK lol probably more soft corals.

. Here are a few questions I have for you experts  I

1. Can I have 2 dartfish in a 90gallon. Have hurd they fight but not sure if would in such a big tank. What do you think?
    2. Here are what I want in my Cleanup Crew but I have no idea how many it will take of each any ideas?
    For DSB MiniStars, Bristle Worms, Spaghetti Worms, Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails, Emerals Crab, electric blue hermit crab.
    For DT Bristle worms, Spaghetti worms, Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails, yellow sea cucumber, maybe a crab if sure won’t eat my coral.

I would like to know what you guys think of my set up and plan. If I am doing something wrong or to fast let me know. I will be starting day one in a week or two. 

Any tips or answers are very welcome I am far from experienced and I don’t want to fail at this awesome hobby.