@#$^@$@# help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NanoMano, Nov 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

so I should definitely exchange my test kits though cause this one sucks the hard one for sure.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would. Get them to test your water first. Then maybe you could use your kit and test it while you are there to compare the accuracy,or lack there of.;)

4. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

k thank you I mixed up a fresh batch and my calcium now reads 420 compared to 320 before but the alk is the same still at 27dkh, so Im gonna guess I got a bad kit for alk

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

seeing as though I know my hydrometer is off by .003 cause it was just compared to a refractometer on wednesday, I made a mistake saying it was 1.023, I checked it 5 times and it reads 1.0215(so + .003=1.0245) so my actual salinity is 1.0245 so its just slightly low, but tomorrow I am going to have my hydrometer checked again as well as take a water sample for testing, and replace the bad alk test kit.
    other then that my params
    PARAMS
    Salinity 1.0235---actually is 1.0245
    CA 320-----accurate but bringing it up slowly
    ph 8.1 accurate
    Ammonia 0 ppm accurate
    Alk/Kh 27???? ***?--broken test kit
    Phosphate less then .25---is this ok?
    Nitrites 0 ppm---accurate
    Nitrates 0 ppm---accurate

so all this being said, should I still hold off on my fish purchase if this is my actual parameters? or are they in fact ok? and again I am having a different more reliable lfs to test my water before hand.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

The API salt water Kh liquid comparison test chart doesn't even read that high. I've been using it for 2yrs.
    The chart reads as follows:
    # of Drops
    1. 17.9 ppm
    2 35.8ppm
    3. 53.7ppm
    4. 71.6ppm
    5. 89.5ppm
    6. 107.4ppm
    7. 125.3ppm
    8. 143.2ppm
    9. 161.1ppm
    10. 179ppm
    11. 196.9ppm
    12. 214.8ppm

What chart are you using? I disagree with API liquid test being totally unreliable. I've been using them with great success. For many years! What difference there is between API and any of the other well know brands is hardly enough to fear a tank crash. I believe it's all a matter of how exact you want to be with your parameters.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

lolno I know it goes by drops, lol I had to put in 27 to get it to turn yellow, so my test kit is buggered, I know it only goes to 12, I'm using the same kit as you, I just got a bad one,haha

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

I didn't say they were totally unreliable I said they were notoriously unreliable. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i use test strips. i don't use them as a main guide on readings, but i find them to be a good fast check on things. every so often i get the real test kit out or when I'm in question of a reading on the test strip.
    i used the API 5 in one test strips, mainly started using it to keep an eye on nitrates. but it helps with monitoring other items as well.
    the test strips don't go up that high on alk the color seems to top out. i know because at one time i had high alk and never seen it on the test strip since it just got to the one top color and that was it. test strips are just a fast check and shouldn't be the main test. IMO they do have their place though... and no its not in the trash haha

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  11. Vinnyboombatz

Api makes liquid test kits too which are the ones we were discussing.;)
    I just noticed another of the O.P.'s posts were he listed his KH and GH. Are you sure you are using the SW test?

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i answered about the test strip because in the first post it was mentioned. i also have the API drip alk test, mine is accurate, or darn close to it, with color change stuff its always a guessing game. i just bought the hanna alk checker.( love getting actual number readings on things!) this is why i say my api drip test kit is pretty accurate, as is the test strips from them.
    i know a lot of people say api is no good, and it seems there are a lot of bad readings from them. who knows maybe poor quality control, old kits, user error ????????
    my drip test kit is over a year old and still tests correct.or darn close, all these kits are subject to a little user error