Resolved Help!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ctfishguy75, May 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ctfishguy75

ctfishguy75 Plankton

Hi,
    I am new to the hobby and hope someone can help me. I just finished cycling my tank and picked up my first 2 fish yesterday. I bought a Clown and Purple Firefish.
    I'm just noticing today that the Firefish has what appears to be excess mucus or something on the side of the body. It looks like 4 small bubbles that that have popped or something, and I even saw some of the mucus slide off the bottom of the fish. I didn't notice it yesterday, but he hid in the rocks most of the evening so I never got a real good look at him.
    He's eating fine and appears normal, so I don't really know what to do next. From what I've been reading, it doesn't really look like ich to me. My water tests are below, and I've tried to include a picture for you. It's difficult to see because it's almost transparent. Also, it is only on one side of fish. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

PH: 8.0 (A little low, I know)
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates:15-20
    Phasphates: .25

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

ctfishguy75,

Fire fish find a "bolt hole" in live rock, sometimes they receive scrapings or wounds from the rock work. As long as he is eating, eyes are clear he is probably going to be ok. I would just keep a close eye on it, consider Melafix if it appears worse.

Good luck.

4. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

+1 on the melafix if you really feel you want to take action. Like corailline said, keep an eye on the little guy. I've used melafix for a little fin gunk my clown had, and it cleared right up. You should consider buying a lil 10 gallon tank to use as a quarantine tank for new fish. Trust me, it will save you a lot of future headaches. Plus, I think its better to be safe than sorry with new fish, bc it reallyyy sucks losing a fish. I know from experience. You can buy an all in one 10 gallon at Petco for like $40 bucks.. Comes with filter, heater, light, top and thermometer.. Everything you need aside from a small powerhead. Hope your little buddy turns out ok!

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Probably some minor abrasions he recieved especially if he was caught using a net at your lfs caused this. As Corailline said if he is eating and eyes appear clear then leave him alone. Stress can be a killer and I believe you should never do anything to cause it unless it is absolutely necessary.

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

And aw1447 is right. A quarantine system will do wonders for your blood pressure and the over all health of your system. I currently have two fish in quarantine in 2 different tanks. Make sure though if you are going to quarantine you do it right. Read up on it first.

7. ctfishguy75

ctfishguy75 Plankton

Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate it. I did get everything I need for a quarantine tank, I just haven't read up on exactly how it should be set up yet. I will take your advice and get that going. Thanks again for your help.