Urgent Help!!!! Yellow tang

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Tsproul13, Apr 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tsproul13

Tsproul13 Plankton

My yellow tang looks like he forgot how to swim he is swimming at a 45 degree angle nose torwed the ground and when he does get off the ground he can't control himself and he runs into the rocks. I have no idea what is wrong with him all perameters are good exept ammonia is at 1 right now.
    All the other fish are acting normal and eating fine. I did recently move the live rock around and scince then he has stayed behind them in a little crevice and rarely came out. Nothing looks wrong with him eyes are clear and skin is clear.
    Any help is Appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

how long have you had him in the tank for?
    why is your amonia at 1?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

An ammonia of 1 ? what test kit?

Do a water change if you have some SW mixed or add some prime or equiv.

Why do you have a detectable ammonia value?

5. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

sounds like stress, if you truly have ammonia your tank is cycling still or something died or you added new live rock??? you should never have detectable ammonia level.

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Probably moving the live rock around released some nasties stuck on or under the live rock/sand which is why you show ammonia. How long has this tank been set up?
    It could be between the ammonia and the new rock set up that's stressing the tang out.

7. Tsproul13

Tsproul13 Plankton

Dead

My tank has been set up for about 12 months now and I think my ammonia is at 1 because I had a hair alge outbreak and took each live rock out and scrubbed it in freshwater. It took care of the alge problem but may have caused others.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

That was your issue. When you scrubbed it in freshwater, you cause massive die off with the rock. Hence your ammonia spike, and troubles/deaths.

Had you used saltwater, you would have been fine. :(

10. zeo

zeo Bristle Worm

water change is not enough i know that tangs start ill when o2 level goes down and if you have your tank from long time you already have a lot of nitrification Bactria and they're struggling now to consume all ammonia there and thats will consume a lot of o2 imo check o2 level .. and try to add kent ammonia pro it will help