Help with Silica...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by markgsiy, Sep 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Hi everyone !

I have this terrible algae problem that is a real PITA ! I can't seem to get my silica levels in my tank below 0.5ppm however my Phosphate level is low at 0.02ppm (good news) I have been using a phosphate sponge in my external filter for the past 3-4 weeks with not drop in the silica levels. Futhermore, I have been using the tap water filter - I think it is a DI filter for all water changes.

One thing that struck me as odd is that even with a new filter installed, the silica tests I did on the water off the new filter is still at 1.0ppm. Is this normal ???

All the tank inhabitants seem fine, it is just the algae growth, especially on the back glass, sand and on top of the live rocks are a nuisance to clean every week.

Here are other info on my tank...

Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    PH 8.6
    SG 1.024
    Temp 79F
    Water Changes about 10% every 2 weeks.

Thanks to anyone with any ideas on how to control this !!

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Brown diatoms are what are the usual result of silica which is probably coming from your sand bed as well as your tap water. As the silica is used by the diatoms they will dissipate. RO/DI may be the way to go to get it completely out of the water you add to the tank.

4. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

One other question...

Without going to an RO/DI filter, will a Phosphate Sponge effectively remove the silica ?

5. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

mmmm. Most probably not. The best thing i have used to remove red slime algae and lower phosphates is red slime remover followed by a water change 2 days later. Oh, and you don't need an RODI filter, you could just buy bottled water that's already RO filtered.

6. Craig Manoukian

In reading your siganature the blue tang needs a tank bigger than your 35 gallon. 48" of lateral swim room is considered a minimum. Great reason to get a bigger tank, eh?

7. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

You are correct... Currently the blue tang I have is a very small one.. He is not even an inch in size yet. Although I am thinking of getting a larger tank soon.. just trying to save enough $$$.

As for bottled water, I think I will pass. I might as well look at an RO/DI filter down the road. I might look at the red slime algae remover additive, although I am sceptical of adding anything to my tank. So far, I have not had to add any chemicals and would like to avoid them at all costs.

Thanks for the advise.

BTW, this is a great place !! Keep up the good work !!

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=markgsiy link=board=ASAP;num=1095435914;start=0#5 date=09/17/04 at 11:12:58]I might as well look at an RO/DI filter down the road.  I might look at the red slime algae remover additive, although I am sceptical of adding anything to my tank.  So far, I have not had to add any chemicals and would like to avoid them at all costs.

BTW, this is a great place !!  Keep up the good work !![/quote]

Very good conclusion, correcting the problem by improving water quality is much better than the band aid approach of covering up things with unecessary chemicals.

Thanks for the compliment and for you being here!

10. cubera

cubera Plankton

If you are using Aluminum Oxide granules for your PO4 'sponge' it has a 30% affinity for Silicates. If this is acid washed it has a 70% Silicate affinity. Your Silicates will start dropping once Phosphates are no longer measurable. Some Silicate and a light dusting of Diatom is a good thing so don't sweat Silicates too much. We experience periodic Diatom and Dyno 'blooms' for a long time after start-up and on rare occassions even in very mature systems. High water flow, high quality lighting, good skimming, and RO/DI for top off should help. FWIW, it is a myth that Silica based substrates elevate Silicates in your tank water. HTH!

11. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

I am not sure what kind of granules the Phosphate Sponge is using. I purchased the Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge. It is made with a ceramic medium ?? It is does not seem to be Aluminum Oxide or acid washed - sorry not a chemist here. Do you know what it is.. here is the link to the Kent Product.

http://www.kentmarine.com/html/pss.html

Thanks.

12. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Turbo snails are very good in removing hair and brown algae. Al least the ones I got. Before I was hesitant to put additional bioload and somehow the few turbo i got all died, but lately i had luck and got 12 turbos (I buy in 12 to reduce loses from a bad batch) which ate hair and diatom rather quickly.

However lowering silicates is still the best way to reduce brown algae. Use of distilled bottled water or an RO/DI is a good move.