help with new coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by m_lacom99, Oct 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Im running 140W... i know its not enough... and i dont think ill be able to post a pic tonight... im still at work... overtime.....

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

140 watts of what? PC? VHO? NO?

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

140 watts of regular fluorescent bulbs. check my signature.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not familiar with "power-glo" and "actinic" is a word used to describe the color of a bulb and not a bulb itself so you understand my confusion. :)

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Power-glo and marine-glo are fluorescent tubes at 35 Watts. power-glo is white and marine glow is the blue actinic. They come in different sizes from 12" to 48". There like the entry level tubes. cheap and worth just about what you pay for them, around 25$ each (thats canadian currency for me).

Marc.

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Little update on the coral. Its doing better... turns out it was just hungry. Gave it some baby brime shrimp with a baster and a couple of hours latter his color was returning!!! I'm happy. That was last night so today on my lunch break ill go to my LFS and get something to feed it... some phyto probebly.

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Ok back from My LFS. Bought 2 things. some Ket Coral Accel and some DT's live phyto. The guy at my LFS told me i need them both and should start with half of what the Kent bottle says since i dont have allot of corals. And once a week 3/4 of a cap of DT and slowly dosing up to 3 times a week.

I usually trust him cause he usualy knows what hes talking about but i just wanted your input. What do you guys think? Cause the stuff is kinda expensive; Kent 28.00$, DT 35.00$. He gave me my usual 10% off but still. w/ taxes came up to 65$ something.

So let me know please.

Marc.

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hi:

I had the same thing happen to my coral but I thought I had melted it with my lights so I moved it to my other tank with powercompacts and he sloughed off some brown waxy looking flakey skin around the bottom and has been growing steady ever since.

Jay

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all the coral is doing a little better but barely. Well its not dead yet at least :-/

It may be shedding its skin. What doe it look like when it does? Cause mine had a transparent "film" hanging on it, i squirted it with a baster and it came off easily. some polyps do come out but not all of them. And the color is still a greenish white. It seem to do better when i dump some DT right over it. But im reluctant to give him allot cause the guy at my LFS told me only once a week for now cause it could cause an algae outbreak.

So i dont know what do to anymore. Ill try to get some pics up do give you an idea.

Thanks.

Marc.

12. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Just a little update on the coral... turns out it was sheding and its doind allot better now. you can see from the pic see!

But just a question.

I started this thread almost a month ago and it started to do the same thing yesterday so i guess its shedding again.
    How often do these thing shed??? Is it a good thing that they do? cause they are growing???.

Thanks

Marc.