help with new coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by m_lacom99, Oct 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Its in a good place i think. Its not getting blasted with water flow and its getting the most light i can provide for it. The only thing i can do for now is to put a reflecting material in my canopy so the light can be reflected back in the tank. I've just been putting it off cause its allot of trouble to take everything apart. Plus I'm not exactly sure on what i should use. The guy at my LFS suggested a paper that they use in hydroponic green houses... its like paper foil but its a plastic material what do you think?

Thanks

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Hi amcarrig!

Sorry m_lacom99, I wasn't trying to mislead you.

amcarrig, How much should I feed?  I was just going by the previous owner. With the cost of DT I wouldn't mind saving some $$ at all.  And you mean all of this time I've been target feeding I haven't even needed to be doing it? Geeees! I wish I had know that sooner.

Thanks, Cindy

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

No problem cindy.

Ok amcarrig, educate us, please. ;)

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

m_lacome99: Sorry, can't help you with your lighting question. Hopefully, someone else will chime in :)

beamer: I notice you have a crocea clam. How big is it? How many other corals do you have in the tank?

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

No problem for the lighting ill figure it out. i ment the feeding part?

What should i be doing??? :)

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

amcarrig, you have a PM.

My clam is about 4 inches long. I have brown button polyps (a couple of different varieties) star polyps, frogspawn , fox coral, pearl bubble, devils hand, green and also a red open brain. A large leather of some type, flaming torch, galaxia, green ricordia mushrooms, some red and some purple mushrooms, fuzzy mushrooms, hammer coral and I think that is about it. Here is a link to some of my pics.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/perio...done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=beamer link=board=ASAP;num=1098494179;start=15#15 date=10/26/04 at 13:42:02]amcarrig, you have a PM.

My clam is about 4 inches long. I have brown button polyps (a couple of different varieties) star polyps, frogspawn , fox coral, pearl bubble, devils hand, green and also a red open brain. A large leather of some type, flaming torch, galaxia, green ricordia mushrooms, some red and some purple mushrooms, fuzzy mushrooms, hammer coral and I think that is about it. Here is a link to some of my pics.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/perio...done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos[/quote]

Very nice pics Cindy! You've got lots of nice looking stuff in there!

OK, as you may know, most of your corals are meat eaters and won't eat phyto. The only corals I can see directly benefiting from the phyto are the leathers...not sure about the star polyps. Your clam is large enough to sustain itself on lighting alone so it needs no supplemental feeding. That being said, you can reduce your phyto feeding to less than 20 mls a week. That should save you some bucks....that DT's stuff is expensive!

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=m_lacom99 link=board=ASAP;num=1098494179;start=0#14 date=10/26/04 at 13:28:18]No problem for the lighting ill figure it out.  i ment the feeding part?

What should i be doing???   :)[/quote]

For now, I would just sit back and wait. Check the coral for decaying flesh or for lighter colored "patches" on the flesh. You can't feed it as the polyps are not extending so even if there was phyto in the water, it could not catch it. If the coral doesn't look better in a week, let us know and we'll take it from there :)

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks guys! I think the tank is really pretty and I'd just like to be able to start enjoying it instead of worrying about it.

I didn't know that my corals were meat eaters and wouldn't eat the phyto. I guess I could have been saving money all along.

How do you feed the meat eating corals? Do they just kind of catch whatever is floating around in the water. I feed the meaty Formula I and Forumla II.?

Cindy