Help with my green Mandarin goby plz!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by saltydogg, Sep 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Well the story goes as follows.. my tank has been up & running for 6 months now & has 20yr old established LR..(plenty of hitchhikers).... it has only had 2 clown fish(LFS) & a cleaner shrimp(MY FRIENDS TANK SAME AS LR) for about 4 mnths now.. also i have gotten coral from my friends tank...(green star polpys,hammer,frog spawn,pipe organ, candy cane)... well i bought a green Mandrian goby & a long spined sea urchin & a dwarf angel 3 weeks ago... after 2 days the goby died.. i took it back to LFS.. they tested water, everything tested good & so I got a new goby... I also purchased a Harlequin shrimp & bottle of trigger pods... well shortly after tht the dwarf Angel died... well everything has been doing great for the last 2 weeks.. the goby's colors came out well & be was swimming around scavenging for the trigger pods.. well just over night he has developed this stuff on him & his breathing seems to have slowed down... my 2 clowns don't seem to have there normal bright colors.. the black clown looks like he has a thin film of Cotton on him... sorry for the whole story I just thought it would b very helpful 2 have all Info... thanks for the help.... I posted a video & few other pics of all of the stuff in my tank, but I really only need help on the ID of the stuff on the goby...all input & criticism is welcomed though....

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

What did your LFS test for?
    looks like your Mandrian has ick(last stage).
    look up Marine velvet and see if you clown look like that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

5. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

They only tested the standard water quality test... that's what I thought about the ick but it just happened over night...I did look up
    velvet but It didnt really look tht clear to me... I also so a pic of lymphocytosis & it looked closer to what the goby has??

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Mandarins are among the very least likely to get Ich.. They do, however, produce a thick mucus coat when stressed and sand will stick to them... Either way. Your tank has no business housing a mandarin. It's too small, and I have to question your meaning on the "20year old" live rock. I'm sure the live rock has been moved a few times...

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what are you feeding the harlequin shrimp? you do know they ONLY eat starfish and require stars to survive (astreania stars are not enough as they will run out) and generally do Chocolate chip stars (i feed mine 1 chocolate chip star every week to week and half)

mandarins dont have the same scale stucture of ich prone fish, but it can get it (harder and more unlikely). I am guessing that you have a case of velvet really bad in your tank

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Keeping Mandarins in the same tank as Anemones is very risky, especially in smaller tanks. They share the same zone and the Mandarin will eventually run into the Anemone.

10. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

OK I'm not real sure why you would say that.. I do have plenty of things healthy for him to eat & from all research I done it is big enough & room for him to scavenge for stuff & hide... Now on the live rock.... I say 20yr old established rock because I got it from my friend who's grandpa was a major saltwater aquarist & had 3 tanks.. a 120gal Fowler, a 540gal reef, a 240 gal reef & aggressive fish...so needless to say that grandpa had a these tanks for alot of years...the oldest 1 was 50yrs old..the. newest was 20yrs old..well gpa died & gma can't take care of it so grandson (my friend) is selling it off...

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

without breaking out my tang police badge, I'll just say that your chances of keeping the mandarin healthy in a tank that size are between nill and none. They are very sensitive and very picky. It's near impossible to keep a mandarin happy in smaller than about 75gallon tanks and even in those it's hit and miss...

The 20 year old rock with no coralline and typical diatom stage tells me you had a cycle which would have wiped most of the micro fauna off making it brand new rock again. (technically that rock is 100s... nay 1000s or millions of years old.. but when they were moved that maturity is reset in many ways)

12. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I agree to most of what is said above, even in an established 125, I sometimes need to supplement pods. Regardless, that doesn't seem to be the problem yet. You will have to medicate the fish, probably with copper, any maybe something like prazipro if it is velvet or a lot of diseases other than ich.