Help with my 55gal

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by franka12404, Nov 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. franka12404

franka12404 Astrea Snail

Ok here is my proplem I have a 55gal with a light bio load a emporer 400 filter with 2 filter pads and a bag of carbon inside... The tank is allways a little cloudy it is never really clear there is no problems I have tested it must be some metal or somthing in the water not sure. My ph is allways high I use tap water to fill the tank I allways treat the water before filling the tank.... Any idea's

2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

My friend! Could you be more specific ?! Is it freshwater or marine ?! Water cloudiness may mean lots of things including, bacterial outbreak, calcium imbalance etc... Please post your water parameters and inhabitants!

4. franka12404

franka12404 Astrea Snail

Ok first its a fresh water tank. I have nitites 0, Nitrates less than 10ppm, amonia 0 and ph is aover 7.6 thats all my test kit will scale up to... I have a blood parot,7 black tetra's, a hybrid sunfish, a dalmation molley and a 3 spot gourami the tank as about 4 or 5 months old.... I used a water softener pillow in the tank for a short while and it became clear but then is now slightly cloudy... also there are two live plants in the tank I forget there names but got them from the aquarium store.... If it is calcuim imbalance how do I correct?? or test for??

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Well, here are some issues with the fish mix, but its not a major problem.

1st - how often do you perform water changes and of what size?

2nd - that carbon in your filter lasts about 2 weeks. unless you supplement your filtration with some sort of additional longer lasting chemical filtration, you need to replace those pads every 2 weeks.