Help with metal stand

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by thetman36, Feb 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

Ok so I have my 210 gal aqueon dual center offset overflow tank and metal stand. The beginning of my build. I noticed that the tank is not making contact with the stand straight across the font and back edge of the tank. Along the left and right sides the tank is making full contact with the stand. I can see daylight between the bottom edge of the tank and the stand across the front and back. My lFS said to put 3/4" plywood on top of the stand and let the tank rest on the plywood. I should mention that the tank is empty no H2O yet. My lfs also said he has 800 gal tanks on similar metal stands and never had an issue with them. Is this good advice? I was planing on building a custom wood cabinet around the metal stand. But I am seriously having doubts about the soundness of the metal stand. I think what i might end up doing is using 2x4 framing around the metal stand and then resting the 3/4" ply over both the metal and the 2x4 framing then skinning the cabinet around it. Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

pics of the stand could help, get some shots of the welds to if possible, then if you cant find the answer PM The Grizz he manufactures stands. Also, if the stand is sound, I would use some plywood and maybe some styrofoam to level it

4. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

where do you place the styrofoam

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

between the wood and the tank. use the white or pink rigid foam for houses its about an inch and a half thick

6. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

ok pics to follow. but as the tanks sinks into the foam wont that start to press against the bottom of the glass?

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Personally, I wouldn't use a metal stand for anything over 20g. With your tank, you're going to have nearly 3/4 ton with just water. Sand, rocks, equipment, etc is going to add to that. IMO, it's not worth the risk. Lots of DIY how-tos floating around for building a strong, sturdy cabinet.

8. Click Here!

9. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

pics

some of the gap and some of the welds

Attached Files:

10. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

I know i can build a stand around this metal. I can use 2x4 framing build a structure around the metal then lay the 3/4" ply over the metal and the wood framing. then skin the whole thing. May prove to be stronger then just the wood stand?

11. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I agree with Mr Bill on a lot of stuff and on this topic I'm in lock step again. I had a 180 with a metal stand once... once. Metal rusts. Even good stainless (and you wouldn't build a stand out of "good" stainless) rusts, not to mention that the better quality stainless you use the more brittle it becomes - not good for a stand. My stand was stainless and it turned into a rusty mess.

Even painted steel rusts - it just takes one imperfection in the paint to allow salt water in and you're in trouble.

Wood is very strong in compression and makes for the best stands. Metal has a whole host of issues associated with it.

12. thetman36

thetman36 Astrea Snail

ok sounds like i am going to scrap the metal stand and build the wood from scratch. Now i have to see if my lfs will take the stand back. He did say that if i build the stand and the tank leaks he would not guaranty the tank