Help With Feeding Favia

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Weir_Head, Apr 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

I bought a Favia about a week ago, and haven't really been too successful trying to target feed it.

I've been waiting until the lights have been off for some time, and I can see the little tentacles out and about. Then I've been loading up a turkey baster with about a pinky nail size mashed up mysis shrimp piece, and just kind of gently/slowly squirting the Favia.

But it never really visibly grabs it, though maybe 1 tiny chunk will be brought in by the Favia, where you can see the mysis stuck to the Favia. The rest just ends up floating around the tank.

Is there an easier or better way?
    I'm just doing this about 2 times a week also.

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i find it very difficult for me to target feed corals, and plus i have so many it would take me half a day.. and then my fish would come steal the food, that is my luck...but what i do is get a few liquid foods and some mysis and a few times throught out the day squirt some in and dash a little cyclopeeze..this feeds my fish a little too, then at night tank gets a cube of mysis...that feeds my whole tank very nicely..

4. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

The best thing to start with is cyclops or zooplankton/phyto

The mysis pieces are too big - but I think you would be surprised that it took the smaller pieces

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

After the lights go out, put some coral food into the tank to encourage a feeding response. As soon as the polyps are out then you can gently turkey baste food onto the polyps. I use a mixture of cyclopeeze, rotifers, coral frenzy, zooplanktonos-s and zooplanktonos-m

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Turn off the powerheads. You'd be surprised at what they can get in their mouths. Mine eats mysis, brine, and even crab pellets. I've had mine eat crab pellets when the feeding tentacles aren't even out.