help with dosing MAG

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dubethenewb, Oct 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Dubethenewb, just keep testing and watch it, worse come to worse do a water change. I would wait at least two if not 3 days before you dose again, change water, or test. Let your water settle with what you have added.

I am confused now... How are you getting that 15 1/2 tsp = 2 tsp?
    15 1/2 tsp = 7.5 tsp into 8oz would be about double (a little less) than the recommended amount.

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

there are 2 ways of dosing this powdered mag. one is mixing it with water and dosing. the other is mixing a stock solution. which is a liquid you have sitting for dosing that you use slowly over time ...days or weeks depending on tank size and usage. i always mix a stock solution when i use this, it makes it easy to dose.

2 teaspoons is what should have been added for the tank water volume. not 15 1/2 teaspoons ... thats how much was over dosed. so approximately 13 1/2 teaspoons were over dosed. thats a large amount to over dose.

this might help you to understand
    Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P - Dry Magnesium Supplement for Reef Aquaria 300g / 10.6oz

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

Dubethenewb how is your tank? whats your mag level at? is it within a acceptable range?

5. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

I tested last night twice and got 1220. I don't know how that happened but after all that powder I added it barely moved. I'm going to test again today to confirm then wait another day and test and then see if
    I need to dose again (and do it right this time haha)

Any idea where all that mg went?

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

glad to hear its ok. as far as why it didn't raise more than than i don't know, i really was worried you might have jumped to 1500

7. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

Yeah that makes sense. I will check my
    Other levels and see where they are at today. I only checked alk and mg las night and alk went up a tad from 10.5 to 10.9 and I never checked ca but it has been 460 for months now. I was very concerned with the amount of mag I dosed. Does a protein skimmer take away mg? I ask because I have been wet skimming for a few days now.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

not sure, but i don't think a skimmer has any effect on mag. i have only heard it effecting iodine i believe. if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

I'm really not the one to answer the chemistry thing. i just do what works for me and don't get to into the chemistry behind it . it confuses me.
    the glass off water theory did put it into a bit of perspective for me.

10. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

It still confuses me as well and I find it very interesting I research the majority of my time on water chemistry and am in school for marine biology and still can't get a choke hold around it. Well just tested mg again and it's at 1220. Alk is at 11.2. And ca is still 460. So only thing that really went up was alk

11. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

i don't intend to buck the trend on this issue but when i was starting out i dosed mag from 1250 to 1800 over the span of a week to battle bryopsis. fortunately, the tank suffered no ill effects of my carelessness. the BRS calculator mentions no more than 100PPM/day so i think you are well within the safe range. just keep an eye on it and dose a little at a time. use the stock solution method as it will be the most consistent and wont require you to mix up a new batch everytime.

good luck!

12. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

That's my plan I have a stock solution already mixed. I'm probably going to wait until Tom and test again to see how much to dose. I was really confused with the directions but now that I understand them it seems idiot proof haha