help with dosing MAG

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dubethenewb, Oct 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

i have a 90 gallon, tank 20 gallon sump half filled (est. 100 gallons of water) with 2" sand bed and 100lbs of rock. so about 75 gallons of water?

mag levels are at 1140 and would like to get to 1300 using brightwell aquatics powder.

directions are as follows:

Basic: Dissolve 2.5 grams (~½ teaspoon) of product per 20 US-gallons of aquarium water in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water; add every other day or as needed to maintain the magnesium concentration within a range of 1,290 - 1,320 ppm. When used in this fashion, 1,200 g treats up to 9,600 US-gallons (36,340 L).

Advanced: Create a stock solution by dissolving 20 grams (~4 teaspoons) of Magnesion-P in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of the solution will increase magnesium concentration (”[Mg2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 6.0 ppm. [Reference: Each g of Magnesion-P will increase the [Mg2+] in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 114.4 ppm.] If initial [Mg2+] in the aquarium is below 1,288 ppm, add stock sol’n at maximum rate of 10 ml per 20 US-gallons daily until desired [Mg2+] is attained, then dose daily or weekly as needed (see below). Maintain [Mg2+] within a range of +/-10 ppm. Once desired [Mg2+] has been acquired, measure aquarium's [Mg2+] at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period to determine the daily rate of magnesium uptake (i.e. the decrease in magnesium). To determine daily dosing rate (preferable to weekly dosing): estimate volume of water in entire aquarium system (US-gal.); divide the daily decrease in [Mg2+] by 6.0; multiply this number by volume of water in system to obtain daily ml of stock sol’n required to maintain stable [Mg2+].

confused as to how to start this for the first time any help would be appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i use this, i mix up the stock solution using ro/di water, and dose as needed. if you want to bring your mag levels up. mix up a stock solution and dose it at max 10ml per 20 gal every day till your mag is where you want it. check your mag daily. IMPORTANT when mixing add it to the container of water not the other way around. also it gets hot when you mix it, i use a glass measuring cup, when it cools i add it to my saved container that i dose from. .... if you don't mix it into the water it throws off gases and gets extremely hot. i learned this the hard way. DO NOT add water to it, instead add it to water. i hope I'm clear on that part

4. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

i figured i need to raise it 233.5 grams; 8.2 oz.... which is a lot so i started out today by adding 10 grams to see if i could see a slight change. now with this high dosage i need how is this going to affect my alk levels?

also should i take the remaining amount i need to reach desired level mix in water and then dump into ATO bucket?

whats throwing me off is all the ml's im confused.

5. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

is 1ml = to 1 gram?

if so do i dose roughly 40 grams of solution daily until level is reached? which would be roughly 6 days to reach 1350.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

1140 is ok. Why do you want to raise it?

7. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

i was under the impression 1140 was LOW. and test kits say 1200-1300 so thats what im shooting for. is that not low to you?

on side note i played around with the mag supplement on my 10 gallon QT tank and raised mg to 1450 and alk was not affected but ca was raised from 450 to 500 which is normal for it to go higher.

8. Click Here!

9. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

I also get my saltwater from lfs and tested for mag and it's 1140 so that is probably why my mag stays at 1140. Could I add the dosage to the buckets of new water before water changes each week if needed?

There's is only fish and live rock in tank now but when levels stay consistent and I figure it out it will become sps dominant.

10. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

ok new question.... who uses the salifert mag test kit? i have been testing with that and stoped when the water turned a purplish blue color but more purple.. tested today waited until it turned a very noticeable blue.. is this correct?

11. threephase37

threephase37 Fire Worm

I use salifert, it will go from purple to purple blue to blue. In most cases only one drop is the difference between the colors changing. Just waste a test by going to far with the color change, add one drop at a time and you will see when it doesn't change color anymore. If you look at the level of the plunger with ea drop you don't have to waste a test either, if it doesnt change with the addition of one more drop use the plunger reading from the prior drop.

12. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

When should I test after adding the supplement?