Help with Coralife Super Skimmer (for 65g)

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by johnlocke, Feb 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

Wait few days then adjust it. Just to let you know I always had problems with that damn box. If after a few days they dont go away and u adjust it and they still dont... Consider my mod of using it with out the box with a pcv pipe going out and sponge.

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Do you have the valve 1/2 opened? Are you using filter media in the diffuser? If the filter media is the wrong micro the water will not be able to pass through quick enough.

You see, right now, all the oils and plastic from the new skimmer is interfering with the skim process. It will take time for it to settle in. You can probably see micro bubbles below cone in the main body, this should not be but that will straighten itself out when it breaks in.

I took a pic, you can see below the cone how clear the water is;

[​IMG]

Granted, mine is in the sump.

4. johnlocke

johnlocke Flamingo Tongue

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

From picture two it looks like you have a pretty good kink in the airline tubing right at the pump.

6. johnlocke

I have the valve opened slightly more then 1/2.. In the defuser I have the tubing going 1inch off the white sponge and then the black sponge is on top of the white sponge..

7. johnlocke

So does that look good? thats how it should be?

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I had trouble with mine first.. Get a better piece of airline tubing, yours looks bad and just give it some time to build up an organic film on the inside and it will run better.. Mine actually runs like a champion and have always produced great skimmate..

10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The kink in the tubing will make it harder for the skimmer to get air.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

You seem to have everything perfect. Now, you must do what the directions say on page 5 (in my instruction book), you see how your water/bubbles are going up the neck to the cup cone? You are supposed to only have the water coming up to the Red tightening ring and then about only 1" of bubbles above the Red fastener. The manual states; Note;Initial operation of the protein skimmer may produce excess bubbles and waste.
    Lower the bubbles to 1" above the Red ring and give the 24-72 hours required. Put the valve at 1/2 like they say, this should reduce the force going out to the diffuser basket.
    The pics helped a lot by the way. Be patient!

12. johnlocke

Thank You for all your kind posts and trying to help me out! I really do appreciate all your help and of course your time during this frustrating agony I had...

However, After a day of trying to fix it and trying out all your ideas (and believe me when i say i did try all your ideas)... I simply gave up and took it back to the store... When I bought it back they try plugging it and and test it, and they too realized that there was a problem with the pump sucking in air at a low setting as suggested in the manual during "break in" time... so the skimmer had to be turn on to MAX for it to pull air and work properly.. Now thats probably not a big deal, the skimmer would have probably work, and do its job; however, I choose not to keep that product but rather get my money back and try to find an alternative.

I understand that any product you buy there is 99% that it will work properly but there is always that 1% that it might be defective... and I just happen to be the unlucky one.. So I am not here to blame Coralife, but it did make me angry as i thought i was doing something wrong.

I just posted this I thought you all might wanna know what really happen.

unclejed, mikejrice, montecarloz.. and the others, Thank you for all your replies