Help with Coralife Super Skimmer (for 65g)

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by johnlocke, Feb 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnlocke

johnlocke Flamingo Tongue

I just installed my Coralife Super Skimmer 65g on my 30gallon tank.. i use it as a hang on.. and I am having some problems with it..

When i adjust the Adjustment Valve so that the water level is to my O-Ring the skimmer is not making any bubbles inside and its transparent.. (it just has water no airbubles).. now when i fully open the Adjustment valve the skimmer turns white.. filled with air bubbles but in the manual it said that i should keep it to 50% open.. Also when I open it fully the water fills up in the collection cup and i shut it off so it doesnt overflow..

So why isnt there any airbubbles inside my skimmer? is it still adjusting or am i doing something wrong?

Thank You

2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

New skimmer, have to give it time to break in.

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

How deep is your pump inside the tank?

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Try blowing hard into the air intake. There may be some water in the tubing that is making it hard for the pump to suck air.

6. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

Did you adjust the bubble trap box according to the manual ? It has to be a few inches from the top. Also it has to brake in for few days if you just got it. I use the same skimmer but in my sump and with out the overflow box. I got a good link for you, let me find it.

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I don't think it's break in. My Coralife bubbled up right out of the box no problem. You probably either have air in the airline or have the pump set to low in the water.

8. Click Here!

9. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I use the 65g also...I had to lower my sump water level to use it. If the pump is too deep it will force too much water up the column. After a day or 2 you then run this skimmer full open.

11. johnlocke

The pump is exactly 3.5" under my water level.. the bubble trap has 1" from the tube (like it said in the manual)... now when i do blow air in the Air-Inlet Silencer I do see air bubbles building up in the skimmer.. but once i stop they stop too...

So I took out the air-inlet with the tubing.. held down the hole.. and then sinked it in so there is absoultly no water in the Air-Inlet tubing.. and agian when i blow air in it i see bubbles going in the skimmer but once i stop they stop too

12. johnlocke

Also the Red dial.. on top of the water output is on full open..

Oh and as soon as i stop blowing air in the hole.. the water does come back in the Air-inlet tubing