Help with clownfish

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by mkdsjones, Feb 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mkdsjones

mkdsjones Plankton

Hey everyone i am trying to get my two percula clowns to breed i have had them in a 29 gallon for about a year with a lot of other fish. I decided to put them in my 20 long frag tank hoping that without other fish around they would possibly start to spawn. Is this a solid plan even if there is only a condy anemone in the frag tank.

2. Click Here!

3. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

Sounds like a good start - I think they also like to have a flat surface to lay the eggs on.. Correct me if I am wrong. I would also make sure your water chem is good.

4. BorntoReef

BorntoReef Fire Worm

5. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

sounds like a solid plan!
    i too have a pair of perculas but in a 90 gal
    how big are they?
    do they pick at the rocks?
    do they live in the anemone?
    any pics?
    good luck

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

A regular, set schedule of lighting is crucial, so make sure you are running your lights on timers. Diet is also very key. Feed a variety of frozen foods, and do away with any flake or pellet.
    As for the anemone: anemone's actually make it LESS likely for clowns to lay eggs/breed ;)

7. mkdsjones

mkdsjones Plankton

continued breeding questions

They are not hosting the anemone so i dont think that will be a problem, and they are on a set lighting schedual. I bought them as a same size pair, and immediatly one became quite larger. The female is about 2 inches long and the male is about 1 and a half. They are over a year. What kind of flat surface should i put in the tank for them. I am feeding them flake food and frozen mysis shrimp they eat both very readily. Should i be adding more than this to their diet?

8. Click Here!

9. ClowningAround

ClowningAround Bristle Worm

Most people that breed clowns will lay a piece of tile in the tank for them or a clay pot. Goodluck with the breeding I have also heard having a higher temp around 80-83 also helps spped up the process.Make sure you feed alot also

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Mysis is good. Add a little veggie in. Stop with the flake, it contains additives that can slow the development of the eggs.
    Have you considered making your own food? I mix scallops, clams, shrimp, and squid up in a food processor. Add a little garlic, selcon, and vitamin c. Way more nutritious than anything you will buy at the LFS and a heck of a lot cheaper too.
    For the surface: as stated, ceramic tile or a peice of clay pot work well. You can even move your magfloat down and they will often use that. Pretty much any smooth item that is safe to have in your tank that can easily be removed will work.

11. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

The largest food in a wild percs diet is algae; second is pods. Make sure they get the greens. The anemone or shrimp or other animals will make it less likely that they will host,

The clowns will lay their eggs on the flattest surface they can, hence the tile or clay flower pot so the eggs can be removed the day before they hatch. I prefer the flowerpot myself.

Set them on a set schedule, down to the time you feed them. They stress when food is late or does not come. The key is to lower stress. And they won't be ready to mate at all until they are 12-15 months old. There are other tricks, but thats a place to start.