HELP with closed brain coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by adam, Jan 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

This is either a favia or a Montastraea brain coral. I just got this yesterday. He is losing some tissue. I am not sure why. Calcium - 500, ALK is 10, PH 8.1-8.3, nitrate is under 5.0ppm, phosphate reads 0. This is all from API test kit, temp is 79, 1.025 - 1.026. I just read the Montastraea are difficult species. Any suggestions. I already dipped him this morning after noticing the recession of tissue. I have a 75 gallon tank with a Maxspect Razor fixture. I do 55% white and 75% blue for 4 hours and have 2 hour ramping up to this and 2 hours after this lighting ramping down. 8 hours total.

Should I move him to more or less light???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

My first guess would be that it came from a lower alk tank, and it's temporarily unhappy. Did you test the alk of the water it came in? Light and flow wise it should do well similar to your acans, maybe less light for now.

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

My Acans are doing great. I moved him to the left of the acans so he will get slightly less light. I acclimated by floating for 15 mins then adding 1/4 cup ever 5 mins for maybe total of 45 mins

5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

looks like RTN. no good, its happend to a few of my LPS pieces. i couldnt save any of them, good luck bud.

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

How does the RTN usually happen with closed brain corals?

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

are you asking what causes it? i have no idea, a piece will look amazing in the store, i bring it home, float it for 30-40 minutes, then drip it for another 30-40, and within 2 hours of being in the tank, it starts rotting away. by day 3, its toast.

8. Click Here!

9. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I have never seen this with a closed brain. THis brain is not the fleshy type more skeleton looking. Maybe thats a bad sign. The store had it for 2 months.

I could move him to the middle of the tank for more light than he was getting. What do you think. He is getting less light now at the corner

11. barbianj

RTN is a term associated with SPS. Are you sure that tissue has receded or is it just pulled back tight? It looks OK to me, just not expanded.

12. barbianj

billielewis3, have you checked alk levels of new LPS?