help with Chili Coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by catz, Jul 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

I bought a beautiful chili coral about a month ago. It was doing great. It would stand up and its hairs were out. The last week or so, it lays down more than its up, and I don't see its hairs out anymore. Whats wrong with my chili? What do I need to do. Twice a week I feed all my corals. My fish get fed every night.

Thanks for the help guys, you are the best

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

need more info. what are your water parameters, whats in your tank. You may want to go to the asap section.

4. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

Amonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Ph 8.6
    Calcium 480
    SG 1.023
    Alk 2.5
    I have 2 Brain coral, sun polyps, zoos, candy cane, star polyps and a long Tentacled Plate Coral and of course the red chili. All the others are doing great.,

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

What are you feeding? Have you tried target feeding it to be sure it's getting enough food?

Just to be sure you're aware, it is non-photosynthetic so it needs different care than most coral and probably needs to be fed more often than other coral.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

it needs to be fed daily. It also needs to be hung upside down in a cave.

7. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

It also needs to be hung upside down in a cave.

I know that would be hard to do.. Do you think he could just move it out of the light, the best he could..?? Maybe alittle more flow to it.. And feed more.
    And be sure he's feeding it the right stuff..

Most of the time in a cave, they get more flow, so more food.. and out of the light....

Good Luck, Larry

Place this coral under an overhang or into a cave out of direct light. Ensure that there is moderately strong flow across this coral.

Polyp extension is best seen after the lights are out, or very low..

This coral takes its nutrients from the water column. Marine snow and plankton are recommended. Does good with being spot fed with above foods...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

ok so I am feeding it the right stuff; but I am supposed to hang it upside down????
    I did move it to a cave area, its not in the direct light, but it wasn't in direct light to begin with. I will give it a shot, and hang it upside down...

Thank You