Help with Brooklynella outbreak

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by LBoulis, Jan 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LBoulis

LBoulis Plankton

I lost my entire tank (except 1 blue damsel) to Brook. I treated the tank with Melafix as directed by my store without any success. I've removed all fish now and treated the tank with 2 doses of coppersafe per directions. Should I also raise the temp of the tank? How long can this parasite exist without any fish for a host? When is it safe to return my new fish?

2. Click Here!

3. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

I know this isn't an answer to the question you were asking, but do you ever plan on keeping inverts in your tank? If you put copper in your display tank (with the LR and sand) odds are you can never keep inverts in there. The rule of thumb is to never dose medicine in the display tank if you can avoid it (most especially copper).

I'm not sure how similar to ich, brook is, but having a tank with no fish in it for 6 weeks does the trick for ich. Also a UV sterilizer may help

4. LBoulis

LBoulis Plankton

No I don't plan on having inverts. The only reason I used the copper is I tried everything else, and the parasite was still killing everything new that I added. I had no other choice.
    I've been steadily losing fish since August. After I thought I was clear, I tried 4 Percs, and lost one of those. Fortunately I was able to save another one with 2 fresh water dips. He's now doing great in my 10 gal.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

well hopefully the copper should have killed the parasite completely.

6. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

did you try Hyposalinity treatment and raise the temp to 85. Thats what our LFS told us to do and it worked.

7. LBoulis

LBoulis Plankton

I didn't know about the hyposalinity until after I did the copper. My saline level is usually around.17-.18 since that is where the store I get my fish from keeps theirs. What level should I shoot for? I will raise the temp though. I did that one other time I had this problem. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

It kills fast normally within 36-48 hours, so it can be tricky to treat. I lost a clown to it, luckily it was in quarantine and not in the display.

Formalin seems to work best for it so I'd try to find some and use it instead of the copper.

10. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

i have the same issue with clownfish disease, just wondering if it worked? i'm going to go buy some formalin now!

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Copper is not the end all be all fix for every disease problem. And it has not that great effect on this problem what will work better is a simple series of treatments for a single aquarium, is to use the Quinine Sulfate every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat the fish for 7-10 days Problem will be solved and tank will not be ruined by copper Never use coper when it can be avoided the cure can be word then the disease as it will and does become toxic to the fish even as it effects their livers and other internal organs

12. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

It worked for me, the fish survived and is still healthy after several months.

It was still in quarantine when the outbreak occurred nothing goes into my tank without quarantine, so its never an issue for me when it comes to inverts.

My researched always came back to formalin working best out of all treatments and worked for me.