HELP - Wife used MAG instead of RODI

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by saltaddiction, Feb 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltaddiction

saltaddiction Flamingo Tongue

I'm out of town and my wife brought my water level in my sump up using 1/2 gal of MAG instead of the RODI water jugs sitting next to it. The tank is a 275 gal FOWLR with two nems and 16 fish.
    I wont be home till Sunday so I'm just wondering if this could kill fish....
    I honestly don't think there was that much Mag in the jug, because when i mixed it, I mixed it on the low side to begin with.

Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Can she do a test for mag? That is where I would start, no point in doing an intervention unless you know what the levels is.

That sucks big time.

4. saltaddiction

I'm not sure i could walk her through it over the phone. I have a guy that i know that does tank maintenance. I don't want to have to pay for a call out unless we think this will kill fish.

5. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

I'd say better safe than sorry on that one, give him a call. Just my two cents.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Your inverts will be the first to show the stress.

Ask the wife how the snails are looking? Ask her do the fish or the corals look stressed?

7. saltaddiction

no corals - Thank God. FOWLR. I thought the same thing...the nems would shrivel up if they were pissed first. I'm hoping that because i made the jug of MAG very weak (because I was new to dosing it) and the amount of volume in the tank that it wont effect anything.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Do you know what product you used for your mix and how much? If so you can use the calculators on 3reef to determine how much the Mg level might have been raised.

1 person likes this.
  10. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

If its the brs stuff 1/2 gallon is only ~100ppm in your water volume. Iv gone 100ppm in one shot(bryopsis) with corals and fish and it was fine. Get buddy to test all the same but dont stress TOO much.

11. saltaddiction

i used 1/2 cup of Reef Advantage Mag mixed with 1gal of RODI water. She poured 3/4 gal into the sump...total volume of the system is roughly 275gal (DT+sump)....calculator is saying to raise it 200 ppm i would have to dose 10 cups of Mag.

I think i'm ok.

12. saltaddiction

Awesome..!! if my calculations are correct, what she dumped in there might raise it 10-20ppm at the most.