Help! What did I do to this sps??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by doog, Feb 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

This is my favorite frag. I got it in early January, and put it at the bottom of my 75 gal lit with 2 150 watt MH's and 4 t5 tubes. It looked good to my inexperienced eye... there were little polyps extending, and a nice pink color all around.

A week ago i figured since it was an sps it should be closer up to the lights, so i moved it to a rock about 2/3 up from the bottom. Today (while picking algae) i noticed that the upward facing surfaces of the frag were white, and the downward facing parts were brown, with pink in the middle (see pics below - then, now 2 views, and a shot of tank to give an idea).

Have i killed this frag, or was it too much light, or is it another problem. For now, i've moved it back to the bottom of the tank. Is there anything else i should do??

thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I would move it back down to the bottom for a while.

4. dlandino

dlandino Astrea Snail

Are you sure it is not just new growth? New growth will be lighter and often a different color than the base. Could be a response to the stronger lighting.

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

sorry to say it but looks like Rapid Tissue Necrosis to me..

6. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

nano (or anyone else)- if it is RTN, does it pose risk to other frags in the tank?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes

I would do a lugols solution dip and hopefully you'll be able to stop it

8. Click Here!

9. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

quiet night with 3 reef and a book. looked up rtn in borneman's coral book. this stylophora probably doesn't have rtn - no tissue loss on lower parts, more like increased zooanthella with brown color. upper pale areas more like bleaching. since noticing this i've had the frag back at the bottom of the 75 where he started, and it's looking stable. lots of polyp extension - it looks 'fuzzy' at night.

10. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Hmm what's your K rating on your Hylides..?... Pending where you got the frag they might have had a higher rating 15k or 20k.. wich would have better color and your Mh mite be bleachin the color and giving it the brown look... If i can remember rite 10k bulbs are good for growth but ok for color.. Where 15k or 20k .. Will give you eye poping color with Little or slower growth than 10k's.....

Just a few pennies of my cents....

11. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

i've got 150 watt 15000K MH's. these will give slower growth?
    edit - just re-checked. they're 10,000K Mh's.

thanks

12. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

The 10k's will make them grow a bit faster than a 15k or 20k.. But with the 15k or 20k will slow the growth a little bit but give you bright colors... If you can find out what Bulbs was used in the tank you picked out the coral that would help you out. Why your color of coral has changed over time...

Good luck..!!

1 person likes this.