Help this snail has killed my blenny

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kiarah, Nov 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It really depends on what your shop's policy is. I would be leaning to the very fast acclimation as the cause of death, and possibly to the problems with your clowns as well.
    What kind of blenny was it?

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

I think it was a lawn mower blennie, he is pictured at the start of this thread

4. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I know around here, buying fish is at your own risk. No shops here I know of guarantee any saltwater fish. Period. They will take back healthy fish for adoption if they have grown too big for your tank, of they are harassing other inhabitants.......that's about it. As for illness spreading, only time will tell, unless the more experienced here have advice........I'd like to know!

My rule of thumb is....if I can't afford to lose it, don't buy it. Reality sometimes is not so great!

5. kiarah

I joined swallow aquatics marine club and they give a week ticket with there fish so if they die or are ill they will refund or exchange the fish, i did this with my two clowns but i got the blennie from a different shop so i guess they could be different. i think ill stick to the idea of getting a quren tank to put new fish in to watch before i put them in my big tank as its to much to lose! but it gonna take me a while before it up and running!:(

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

My shop doesn't offer anything either. It could die in the bag on the way home, and you're still just outta luck.
    Just to let you know, the tank was too young for a lawnmower blenny anyways IMO. They have very specific eating requirements, and if those requirements are not met, it will slowly starve to death. This is assuming it didnt take prepared food (a lot do not).

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Sometimes it's just hard to tell. 20 minutes doesn't sound like long enough of an acclimation. I always do the drip for at least an hour. Was there anything in the tank that may have bullied him?

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

The blenny was only in my tank for about 12 hours so i didnt get a chance to feed him altho he was grazing on the live rock a few hours after he first entered my tank. I do have what i think is a pistol shrimp that clicks at nihgt in ones and twos, i had already caught one but the clicks are still going on! could that stress him? The blennie was near a hole under my live rock this morning. :confused:

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It not only could stress him, it could fully prey on him/kill him. I would resist adding anything till you discover the source of the clicking, and eliminate the shrimp (if thats what it is).

11. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Could be the pistol. Sorry about your loss, cool fish, i had those snails, very cool to watch come out when feeding the tank. I would suggest that if the acclimation was the problem, and they told you how to acclimate, then they're liable, however, it's pretty much impossible to tell. Sorry, at least it was an innexpensive fish.

12. kiarah

Im shore its not a mantis as they click differnt from a pistol dont they? and i put the clicking down to a pistol and found one , why what else do you think the clickin could be?