Help this snail has killed my blenny

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kiarah, Nov 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

:cry::angry: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME ASAP AS IM GUTTED! I BOUGHT A BLENNY YESTERDAY AND PUT HIM IN MY TANK. AFTER A FEW HOURS HE WAS VERY HAPPY SWIMMING ABOUT FEEDING ON THE ROCKS. i GOT UP THIS MORNING AND AGAIN HE WAS FINE AT THE BOTTOM OFF THE TANK AND I NOTICED HE WAS SAT NEXT TO THE SNOUT OF A LARGE SAND SIFTING SNAIL I PURCUSED LAST WEEK ( THE SNAIL BURROWS AND STAYS UNDER THE SAND WITH JUST ITS SNOUT OUT) TOOK THE KIDS TO SCHOOL AND AS I WALKEED IN TO MY HORROR THE SNAIL WAS SAT ONTOP OF MY BLENNY HEAD COMPLETELY SMOTHERED IT! I DESPARTLY TRIED TO RESCUE HIM BUT WHEN I FINALLY REMOVED THE SNAIL THE BLENNY WAS DEAD. HAVE I BEEN SOLD A BAD SNAIL? i AM SO GUTTED ALL THIS HAPPED IN A HOUR!
    THANKS K

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

I have spoken to the shop who sold me the blennie & the snail and they seem to think the snail would only climb on the blennie if it was already sick and on its way out. They want a water sample which im more then happy to give as i checked them yesterday and the were :
    ammoinia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 10
    ph 8.2 -8.3
    sg 24
    temp 26.
    I also have two new clown fish that i added the same time yesterday (to replace the two off which one was ill as soon as it was put in the tank about a week ago). The two new clowns are very happy and full of life! and i also have a cleanert shrimp which is healthy and happy and shorly if there was anything in my water killing that killed my blennie that i had missed then the shrimp who has been in my tank for nearly two weeks would be the first to go as blennies are ment to be a hardy fish?
    AHHHHHHHHHHH Still think the snail smothered his face as he is so quick and i struggled to get him off the blennie so i dont think the blennie would had stood a chance!
    :cry:

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't know what killed that blenny but it wasn't the snail.

Fast moving fish are not killed by slow moving snails.

Regardless, I'm sorry for your loss.

5. kiarah

ok so if its not the snail then that leaves my water or it was ill when i added it to my tank which the store said it was not. my water parm are all ok and if there was somethink i missed (not that i think there is!) shorly the cleaner shrimp would be dead by now or would have died way before the bennie as the shrimp has been in my tank for nearly 2 weeks and the blenny was in there for not even 24 hours! ?

6. jeremy_a

jeremy_a Feather Duster

How long did you acclimate the fish before you added it?

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

+2 on that one. If it wasn't acclimated right then that would kill it. The snail was only doing what it was bread to do, clean up.

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

HI i drip my tank water in for 25 mins for the blennie and 30 mins for the two clown fish. the shop advised me 15 - 20 mins. The blennie didnt move quickly around the tank which is why i thought the snail might have caught him.Do you think it could be shock? I did all my parm for the second time today just to make sure they were all ok and they were perfect! Again im just gutted. Im now setting up a orca nano 450 as a quran tank for the nex new fish i get as it seems to me there is a very high risk off getting a unwell fish in the uk!, or is that the case where ever you are!:confused:

10. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

neat snail btw.. even though it devoured your new fish.. i want a conch shelled snail.. weekend and pay day can't come soon enough :D

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I soak the bag for 20min to just get the temp to match. Then I put a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of tank water in bag every 15 min for 1.5 to 2 hrs to acclimate my livestock. I sometimes go longer for inverts.

1 person likes this.
  12. kiarah

oh so do you think it could be shock ?