HELP:Swim Bladder?????

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by dancin_trancy, Feb 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Hey guys,
    I woke up this morning to see that my larger clown seems to be having some difficulty swimming, she seems to be rising to the top rather quickly..and you can see her tilt very slightly to her side at times. I'm worried she might have a problem with her swim bladder. Ive looked online for info, but didn't find any info that was much help.

My water per. are stable: sg. 1.026, temp. 78, nitrate 0. Both my Midas and other clown are doing great. All three are eating fine as well.

Can anyone help me, what can I do? I do not have a QT set up at this time, if antibiotics are required, can that be used in my display tank? Is this something that is cured, or is she doomed??? :(

PLEASE HELP!!

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I had been in the freshwater hobby for a lot of years and swimbladder problems on a fish are detrimental and permanent unless it's caused by indigestion, then you can attend to it's "special needs". I have not experienced swim bladder disease with marine fish but would suspect the same thing. Could be bacterial, could be indigestion or could be water quality. Try feeding it boiled peas and see if he/she responds to it. What are you feeding it? He could be reacting to the type of foods being fed. If feeding zooplankton, make sure you squirt it half way in the tank to prevent them from settling on the top. If it does the fish could have swallowed a bubble while feeding.

Good luck Trancy!

4. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

I suspect that is probably what is causing it. I feed them a variety of foods, flake, frozen, pellets, dried shrimp, and zooplanton. I noticed after I first got the smaller one, that he was very "full" looked very constipated, so I fed them a boiled pea and it seemed to make him more comfortable. I think I have made the mistake of placing all food on top of water and letting the fish eat it that way, which is probably what is causing the new problem as well.

Truthfully, this is the first time I have heard of the swallowing air issue, although its pretty logical if you think about it! Hopefully, changing how I feed them will help!

By the way, he seems to be swimming normally now....thank god!!!

Thank you for your help!