help.....sick shark

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by snake, Aug 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snake

snake Astrea Snail

I woke up this morning and my 14" bamboo shark appears to be in distress. He has lost a significant amount of his coloration, and is breathing very heavily. He is up and about but his swimming is awkward and he appears to be trying to scratch himself. there are no outward signs of parasites or wounds. water chem. parameters are good and the other tankmates are happy as can be. what do Y'all think? He was fine 24 hrs ago.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Snake not a shark guy, so no help here.  PM Gresham as he will be able to answer or stear you in the right direction.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

How long have you had him?

I'm a far cry from a expert on sharks, the man you want is Scott Micheal. I'll dig around, I have his email someplace. In case I can't find it quick enough, Scott runs www.coralrealm.com , you can definitly find him there.

5. Craig Manoukian

6. snake

snake Astrea Snail

Thanks everyone, but alas, the shark expired within 3 hrs of the time I noticed the problem. I'd still like to have an idea of what could take it from fine to finnished in less than 30 hrs.
    Again, thanks for the help.

7. Craig Manoukian

Way bummer dude! How big a tank did you keep it in? Karma for your loss.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

And how long did you have him?

10. snake

snake Astrea Snail

Hey Gresham,
    Thanks for sharing the grief with Me. I feared My tank was crashing but as of this time everyone else in tank is as active and vibrant as every(volitan lion,porcupine puffer(please see "question about puffers" under fish) oyster toadfish,urchins, and serpent, as well as common stars(which the puffer is eyeing, advice welcome)
    Could this possibly be a sting from the toadfish? They often occupy the same end of the tank.(55 gal)
    I'm just very discouraged and completely at a loss right now as I've hatched My Friend from an egg in late Feb.
    Again, Thanks for advice. This site is such a blessing for those of us who are still struggling.

11. snake

snake Astrea Snail

Hey Craig,
    Thanks for the Karma, could really use it now, feel as if I've lost a Child.

12. Craig Manoukian

The toadfish sting could be a possibility. Would explain the rapid decline, eh?

Thanks for the kind words. All of us together make this a great place!