help setting up sump/refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Billme, May 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

hello folks, I'm trying to plan out the plumbing for this new sump. The dimensions are 40"L X 17"D X 18"H. What I have in mind is to split the tank drain and set up the filter sock and skimmer on the left and fuge on the right. Both will drain into the center chamber for the return. I've approached this as I can move any of the glass panels to suit my purposes, even get new glass cut if needed. Just eyeballing it, the sump will be smaller than I would have liked. What i'm thinking is to remove the left two panels to combine the filter sock and skimmer in the same chamber. This would allow shifting the three chambers on the right over to the left to increase the size of the fuge. Also the center chamber is for the return pump: does it really need to be that big (6.75")? The return pump is an Altman 2500. I'm also wondering if the far right panel even needs to be there, as that would allow me to open up the area for the sump more. I would have the right side drain directly into the sump with no filter sock. I welcome all input including, "just use it as it was built".

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My only thoughts were, that pump is OK for skimmers, kinda small for a RP.

Whats the DT size?

1 person likes this.
  4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It's an SCA 120 gallon. There are two pumps in the box. One is an Altman PH2500 and the other is an Altman PH 3000. I looked it up and the skimmer (SCA 303) is supposed to have the 3000. I think the 2500 is rated for about 700 GPH.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

One can build or modify a sump any way they want to suit their fancy. My only suggestion is to keep the return chamber as-is. With an overflow maintaining the DT water level and baffles doing the same for the rest of the sump/fuge, the return chamber will take the brunt of water loss from evaporation. Even with an ATO, downsizing it won't leave much room for error or system malfunction.

1 person likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yes Bill, and may work and work well, but that 700 is gong downhill with a tail wind!
    No really, 700max @ 0" head height, You'll have to have a least 3 ft Head height- so considerably less. It will work though.

Congrats on the new system!

timkatz71 likes this.
  7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the input MrBill. So, as it is now, there is about a 6.75 inch compartment for the return. So if I keep the same perameters , it should be ok?

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks much Todd. I didn't realize all the decisions I'd be making before I get this running.

10. Mr. Bill

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and a 'tried-and-true' from one tank doesn't always work so perfect for another. The general rule of thumb for sump circulation though is around 5 - 6 times the DT volume per hour. Much more than that and your skimmer, reactors, etc. begin to lose their efficiency. For total flow, I recommend at least 20x. The idea is to keep detritus in suspension so it can be pulled into the sump for removal.

Oh, and yes, your return chamber should be fine as long as you top off every day.

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

These are the revised plans for the sump.

Attached Files:

12. Mr. Bill

Personally, I would skip the bubble-trap from the fuge. It's really not necessary, and will be a major restriction if you should decide to add a substrate. Other than that, looks much better. :)