help setting up refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by mikekx65, Nov 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I have a 55g tank non drilled and I'd like to get a refugium setup going. I'll probably go with a shops hob overflow. Everything else I really have no idea what to buy. What size sump should I run with my tank? What all will I need besides hob overflow and return pump? I see pics of crazy plumbing setups but will a simple "loop" setup work?

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

In general, you want your sump/refugium to be half the volume of the DT. So for a 55, between 25-30 gallons. The problem with 55's is the 12" restricts the size of a sump you can fit. But see what you can fit and go from there. Otherwise, as mentioned you need an overflow ( I really like the Eshopps as you already plan to get), drain plumbing, the sump with baffles (ideally a sump with 3 chambers), a return pump, and return plumbing. You want to flow about 10X the sump volume, so if you have a 25 gallon, you will want to flow around 250 GPH.

4. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the info. Is there a sump that you would reccomend? Or maybe a certain brand? And with the plumbing can I just do a simple loop. Overflow box>PVC to sump>return pump>PVC back to tank?? Should I put a valve in there somewhere? And the overflow box I plan on getting will flow 300gph what size PVC will I need to use for the plumbing? And what return pump do youreccomend?

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I recommend you do some searching and reading on your own. It is what I did when I built my first tank. Much better than being told what to do without understanding it. That being said, here are a couple of tips before you get too far. First, oversize your overflow box. I used the PF-1000 for my 55 even though I only flow about 500 GPH. Second, you can use a valve after the return pump, but that is it. No valves on the drain line(s).

6. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the info. I've done a lot of reading and have a pretty good idea of what I need and how it all works. Just had a few questions I couldn't find answers to. Thanks again though!

7. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Good pointers. Been reading a lot also and I always find you posting valuable info. Thanks for being a vital asset to the forum.

8. Click Here!

9. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I have been looking into synergy reef for an ato check them out for a sump.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Thanks for noticing :)