help reviving a maxi mini anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by oldfishkeeper, May 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hello All: I've had a maxi mini anemone for probably about a year or so......anyway, it has shrunk in size to a only about a quarter in diameter - I actually thought I had lost it but discovered it was still in the tank when I turned some rock around....it's pretty bleached out - is there anything you can recommend to try and nurse it back to health?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like it needs the basics, food and light. I would try to move it an area with some light but not direct. If it will eat, small, tiny tiny pieces of raw seafood (fish, scallops....)you can get that easily at the grocery store.

If you can remove the anemone you can place the anemone in a strainer type set up either at the top of the tank or in a lower flow area on the sandbed. I suggest the colander/strainer set up in a good flow area with diffuse lighting hanging off the rim of the tank. You might want to do a quick iodine dip if you have the solution.

4. oldfishkeeper

thanks corailline! I will pick up some seafood....I tried to move it and it is very tight in a crevice and it's not budging. I put some rock near the top to diffuse the light it gets - it's still sticky and does have some color so it is still alive which I think is a good sign. Would love to bring it back.....

5. Corailline

I am hesitant to recommend full light only because the anemone is bleached from under exposure by the sound of it, secondary to being behind some rock work. Initially full light might be too much. They do move around quite well so I am wondering why it moved to a shaded area? You have Reefbreeders LEDS?

6. oldfishkeeper

no, I have t5's....l'm not sure if it actually moved there or if I placed it in the shade when I moved rock.......I have it partially shaded now and will try and feed it a small amount like suggested. It still has color and it was sticky - but it is awfully small from its original size

7. Corailline

Try to increase the lighting slowly over the next couple weeks.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper