Help remove whatever these are!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by tgood, Jul 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I noticed one or two of these crawling around on the substrate the other day and now they're all over the glass and I'm worried. I think they're flatworms but never dealt with them before so I'm not sure. My GSP hasn't been doing good for about a week and only just opened (single polyp) halfway yesterday. The rest of the GSP appears to be in bad shape.

[​IMG]

Sorry if the pics are blurry, they're hard to focus on when they're on the glass:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are these eggs?

[​IMG]

My zoas are still doing great IMO:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help! I'd like to get these things out of the tank because I think they're seriously causing issues with my GSP and my fish. My fish still eats and everything but sometimes he goes to the bottom corner of the tank and just lays on the sand (not on his side).

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I don't see anything to be alarmed about...the white specs look like copepods to me. The "worms" appear to possibly be Dorvilleids, but hard to tell from your pics.

I'm assuming the thing you asked about being an egg doesn't move? It might be a small Sycon sponge (pineapple sponge).

Here's a link to a pictorial hitchhiker guide that may help you ID a few things...just match your critter to a photo:

Hitchhikers Guide to Your Aquarium

4. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Thanks for the advice! I scraped the glass like I usually do so the "thing" is gone lol. I'm sure if it's something good it will appear again. I was nervous because of the way my fish was acting and the GSP looking unhappy. If you don't see anything wrong then hopefully nothing is! I checked out that guide and it looks like I might have Feather Dusters on the back wall near the overflow. According to the guide that's a score. Thanks for the help, I'll just continue doing what I'm doing!