Help Please!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ed5480, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ed5480

ed5480 Plankton

Ok so im new at the freshwater fish tank. actually new to fish tanks all together. I have a 30 gallon tank with a millennium 3000 filter. i put water in after wiping everything down with a wet sponge. Now there are small white particals in the water that are coming from the sink so i know its not gravel dust or dust from the fake plants/fake rock. I have no fish yet because i know the tank hasnt cycled yet. Also the water isnt perfectly clear its pretty foggy when looking through the tank longways. My question is will all these im purities be filtered out over the next few days or should i find a new water source. The water was treated with Seachem Prime as well. Ive read up but i couldnt realy find out if other peoples tap water had small white particals in it. It really does looklike dust. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Dont know if you realized but you posted twice. Dont worry somebody will answer your question soon (I cant since I dont have experience with FW)

4. ed5480

ed5480 Plankton

oop sorry the other post has an update

5. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

i also have no experance with FW but i know everyone here will recomend RO/DI water...

6. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I use tap water in my FW as long as you add something to it to remove the chlorine and other things. The cloudiness is normal if it is a new tank. Just like a SW it has to go through a bacterial bloom. Somethimes the bloom will last a week or longer. Your fish will live through this if you want to add some! In fact it helps the water if you have a couple.. RO/DI water is best but if you dont have it don't fret as you would with SW. You should be fine.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Optimal mechanical filtration will help to rid impurities and larger particulate matter.