HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Guest, Sep 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

OK i went to homdepot to look for the southdown sand and they didnt have it so i went with with regular white sand. is this ok if i seed it with live sand still i need to know befor i ter to ccle the tank and add fish ??

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would have to say no. I'm not sure of what the sand you purchased is but odds are it is silicate based sand that is going to cause you no end to problems. Mainly Algae. It may also break down in salt Water quickly and cause permanent cloudy water. Another possible problem is the impurities in the sand may cause adverse problems as it breaks down. Could cause death.
    Most of what I say is speculation and others may have the facts.

Jason

4. yellowviper

yellowviper Astrea Snail

what do you recomend for a cheap sand . and i can add a live sand to sed it .

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

as far as the silica sand theres big disaggreements on that.  but aragonite is the best to get
    there is a site to get aragonite

pure aragonite

i actuallly have another type mixed in with the aragonit sand in my main tank i have pink and white colored its marine safe it also comes in many colors no problems with it either

Ultra Reef sand