HELP Please

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Little Fishy, Aug 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Little Fishy

Little Fishy Astrea Snail

I have a 3 month old tank that I waited a long time to get balanced. I have 40 lbs of live rock and sand. After 2 months ph was good, no amonia, nitrites were a little high, nitrates were <.25 temp 80. I added live plants, 2 chromis, 4 crabs and 4 snails. within one week i lost one chromis. everything else was fine. i bought an extra test kit to be safe before buying more fish.

for the last 2 weeks I have had perfect gravity 1.025 ph at 8.2 no amonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates so I went shopping. in one trip i added 2 clowns, one tang, and 2 more chromis, a cleaner shrimp and 4 more snails.

within 24 hours my cleaner shrimp died and now my original starter chromis is dying. what do i do?

if i add ich medicine with copper is it going to kill my snails and crabs?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What size tank is this? Adding more then one or two fish at a time to a tank is never a good idea. The idea is to add them slowly to allow the bacteria in your tank to multiply in order to handle the additional bioload. This may or may not be the problem but it helps to do things slowly.You may have introduced a diseaese or parasite into the aquarium. You mentioned something about ick are you seeing signs of this?:confused:

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Also, never add copper to your DT. It will kill all inverts and your bio-filter.

1 person likes this.
  5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Hope it turns out well for ya. For what it's worth, Vinny has given me some good advice here, whatever he has to say, I'd listen.

1 person likes this.
  6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I agree with the above posts. Add the stock slowly to allow the beneficial bacteria to multiply to keep up with the bioload. Add too much to quick and you will get a spike possibly resulting in the loss of livestock.

7. Little Fishy

yeah I guess that would be important.... lol =)

I have a 55 gallon tank. so what do I do now?

8. Click Here!

9. Little Fishy

oh and... i guess the reason I am suspecting ich is because the first chromis died from that. and i think i see a tiny spot on one of my clowns. they are baby clowns.

i am not that experienced with this. the guy at the fish store told me for my tank size it would be safe to add these fish since i was adding them at once.

i dont want to lose anything else. can you guys tell me anything i can do to avoid further losses?

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Doing some water changes each week will definitely help. What type of filtration do you have?

11. Little Fishy

i have an aqua clear 300 filter. i was afraid to do any water changes because it took so long to get everything perfect.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Most (not all) LFS will tend to give bad advice because after all they are trying to sell you things. I would say your tank is way too small for any kind of tang.(not sure what species they sold you) You will want to keep checking your waters parameters including testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as well as the other big 3 PH, alk, and calcium.(you should also check magnesium once in a while) As long as the fish are eating they are capable of surviving an ich outbreak. If you do notice a loss of appetite you could try dipping there food in garlic as many here have had good success keeping the fish healthy enough to stave off infection. As far as medicating I would do this as a last resort and maybe someone here can chime in on medications they have had success with.Most importantly keep feedings to once a day or even once every other day to keep levels from spiking.And last don't add anything else to the tank. You are at your limit as far as fish go and with the tang over the limit.Hope this helps but by far the best thing you can do for your tank is ask questions here first before adding anything to the tank as we are lucky enough to have some really great people who will give you good advice. Research is always good.8)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    1 person likes this.