Help picking out power heads

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Peredhil, Sep 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My tank specs should be in my sig, but it's a 55 gallon - long, I believe it's called; if "long" means it's the 48 inch long variety.

I ordered my new lights and they should be in this week. Being that my cycle is about complete, I thought it was time I should get the power heads added. And here, too, the terminology I'm guessing at. I believe power heads refer to the water blowers one puts on each end of the tank to make current. If it refers to something else, it is the current machines I mean to say :p and hope to be corrected (or confirmed).

Anyway, it's a future reef tank. The setup is, more or less, a 4 foot long tank with a wallish structure (with lots of large gaps) running down the middle.

So what power heads do you guys recommend for this size/setup?

I think it's pertinent, but I have no holes nor plan to add holes to the tank itself.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would go with a pair of Koralia 2's or 3's in your tank to start out with, for the main flow. You may also want to look into a few Koralia 1's to target flow at various places for corals. We really would need more info, like the flow rate of your filter, skimmer, etc. Basically everything else thats pumping water. To start with, aim for a 35x-40x turnover rate when adding all your systems together.
    Also, since you want to start a reef tank, by looking at your specs in your signature, you should seriously consider adding more live rock. General rule of thumb for a reef tank is 2lbs per gallon.

4. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 on the koralia's I have 3 in my tank and they work very very well.

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Another vote for the Koralias they are great.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i like the maxi jets with the sure flow mod, for 30 dollars its a deal, just be warned it may be to powerful for some to wield
    its like a koralia magnum for a hundred dollars less

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Where have you ever seen A Koralia Magnum for over $100???
    You can get a pair of 2's or 3's for less than 50, for the pair

8. Click Here!

9. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

If you have the money go for the Koralia's, if not I have a moded maxijet 600 and a koralia 1 in my 55 gallon/ 48" tank and the maxijet puts out a ton of flow. If you are going to do corals that like high flow then I would save a few bucks and go with a couple of smaller maxi-jets and mod them. Trust me, they are alot of flow. If you want more ajustability of direction and want to keep more variety of corals then again Koralia's are the better powerhead.

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

koralia 3's in a 55 work great! I had em in mine! nice flow and when placing them try to direct them towards the front glass at an angle. makes nice waves under the water and keeps top water agitated too:)

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

it really depends on what type of coral you want to get into, i think... at least im pretty sure that Koralias are known for there speratic flow, which sps's love, and i think the maxi's are more "strait shooters" and the flow has a "harder" impact, if that is infact correct then id get the K's :)

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Fixed Flowrate Pumps > Powerheads > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies
    where can you buy two of any of those on that page for less then 50?

edit: those are 5-8, the 2-3 are a lot cheaper(but there not called magnum)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008