Help picking out a nano

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by oakvad, Jan 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So i sat down with the woman today and talked to her about the picotope i wanted, while discusing i told her we would eventually set up our 55 for my dwarf lion i want. Well as it sits now we just dont have room for our 55 so she said just get a 30 big enough for the lion. YEAH!

So ive been looking at a few tank and would love some input,
    about filtration, lighting etc...

Eco Cube Aquarium Kits: Drs. Foster & Smith EcoCube

Aquarium Kits: Red Sea MAX 130D Reef Aquarium System

Nano Cube Reef Aquarium Kits: 6, 12 & 24 Gallon Nano Cube Aquariums

Any input would be great. I would like to keep some soft corals maybe a shrimp or two.

2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I Have a 130D red sea and would think its the best of the bunch. I have a 20 gallon sump and a 150 gallong skimmer. I personally think if you want a lion fish you in fairness to the fish need more then this. I upgraded to a 92 gallon corner for a lion as the small tank is not fair to this fish. I have the 220 ref tank a 130d community with a potters angel 3 tiny yellow tangs and a hawaian cleaner. then the 92 houses the lion the green line moray and a porkypine puffer. Do the favor of the fish buy a bigger tank.

4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I agree that none of these would be suited for a lion...but that aside..I like the EcoCube the most..especially with the HQI pendant!

5. oakvad

so even for a dwarf lion a 34 is not big enough. they are supposed to only get about 6-7 inches long. im not talking a volitan or anything.

6. COReefBetter1/2

COReefBetter1/2 Plankton

I can say that I've had a 6g Nano Cube for almost 2 yrs now with absolutely no problems or complaints. I can't express an opinion about the other brands.

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

6 inches is a pretty big fish for a 34..And lions put out quite a bit of waste..

You could try it..but you would probably be limited to that fish only. And IMO..lionfish are kind of boring lol they just sit there on a rock the majority of the time. I think you would get much more enjoyment out of a few smaller fish.

8. Click Here!

9. oakvad

How's the filtration and flow on that, did you add or change out the lighting or add any power heads.

On another note, wow didn't look at the price tag on that seamax. The lfs in ft collins (45 miles away) has one for 699.
    I don't know why I didn't look, just assumed it was close to price

10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

11. oakvad

Man you guys are killin my lion dream, I'm gettin all no's from 3reef and a ya it should be fine from lfs and the articles I'm reading.
    I'm gonna need to redo my fish list now. I want something different

12. oakvad

Man you guys are killin my lion dream, I'm gettin all no's from 3reef and a ya it should be fine from lfs and the articles I'm reading.
    I'm gonna need to redo my fish list now. I want something different