Help picking a light

Discussion in 'Marine Depot' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Hey was wondering if you could help me out.

Looking for an led light that will grow most corals in a 36"10"x12" tank.

I want something like the current usa orbit light that's slim and rests on top of tank. Do not want to hang it. But want something more powerful that will grow sps. Do you sell anything like this?

No radion or AI. Want to keep price under 200 if possible. 300 max.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. johnnyriker

johnnyriker Plankton

It depends on how much you want to spend. LED fixtures can go anywhere from $350 to $2000 dollars a fixture. You could manage with a single radion with wide lenses or another LED solution. There's also PAR38 if you want something more down to earth or the Kessill lighting.

4. johnnyriker

johnnyriker Plankton

It depends on how much you want to spend. LED fixtures can go anywhere from $350 to $2000 dollars a fixture. You could manage with a single radion with wide lenses or another LED solution. There's also PAR38 if you want something more down to earth or the Kessill lighting.

5. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I would recommend the Radion. it is a little pricey at 500-600 depending on the model you choose. Its a great light and had lots of programming options.

6. skewlboy

skewlboy Plankton

Could probably pick up a used Radion pro gen 2 as people upgrade... Good light

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

How about the new Kessil coming out? It's only a grand! Lol ;):p

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

No thanks. Only wanna spend myabe 200. 300 max! Radion and AI not what i wany at all. Like i said something slim that rests on top of tank.

10. Toallhisdoom

Waiting on marinedepot to chime in here...

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I got to play with current marine led with remote and I have to say it's a nice fixture. I know it's not that powerful but the color was awesome. The actinic at 100% has a nice dark blue violet color. I thinks it's a nice fixture.

12. MarineDepot

MarineDepot 3reef Sponsor

Hi Toallhisdoom,

Thanks for your inquiry. With those requirements, the option would be to use two Current Orbit Marine LED fixtures. High-output LED fixtures (the ones that are better for SPS corals) are typically more expensive and will need to be mounted 6"-10" above the tank.

With your budget and your needs in mind, a very good option would be a 4-lamp T5 lighting system. Most T5 fixtures will sit just a couple of inches above the aquarium, be in your price range and will be capable of growing SPS corals without any issues in a shallow reef. :)

DSC reef likes this.