Help on what corals to have with my lighting!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by MILLERTIME, Oct 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MILLERTIME

MILLERTIME Feather Duster

I have a 3 gal jbj picotope with a hob filter rated for 30 gal and the current satelite dual 18w (36w all together)light fixture. 6700k/10k and 420/460 actinics.

2. Click Here!

3. MILLERTIME

4. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

i am not familiar with the shape of the tank you have. What are the dimensions?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Give me the dimension's of the tank and I can build you a set of LED's for it encased in acrylic should last about 10 yrs . that what I made for the Bosses Nano here at home a few months ago . Good Leds are not cheap but for the life of them its worth a look into fr a small tank. Nothing to replace and no heat..

6. MILLERTIME

I have a light fixture its 2x 18 watt sunpaq bulbs... One is 6700k/10k and the other is 420/460nm. I was wondering what corals i could have in my tank. Since i have like 11watts per gallon. Also will 460nm make my coral glow like a black light or the 420?

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

um, you can have anything up to a LPS but the small tanks are risky so I wouldnt have any super expensive stuff in there, only reason you cant do SPS very easily is because it's hard to get alot of flow without spilling water

8. Click Here!

9. MILLERTIME

Thanks..... Last question..... If i change my bulb 420/460 to striaght to 460/460 will more corals have more of a blacklight affect compared to a 420/420?

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would do zoos first before attempting anything harder. the wpg rule breaks down in smaller tank

11. MILLERTIME

i have a bunch of them now.... what do you mean it breaks down in smaller tanks?