Help on buying a ro/di unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grinder37, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I'm wanting to take the leap and buy a ro/di unit,but my question is where is the best place to get the cheapest,most basic,but at least fair quality unit?How many stages are required?I will never keep sps,and i only have 2 small sw tanks(1 28g and 1 29g)The only corals i have or will add are just soft easy stuff(leathers,zoas,gsp,etc).But i'm tired of buying water from the machine at walmart,which i know isn't good,and i sometimes top off with brita filtered tap water.I'm wanting to rid my tank of phosphates and nitrates as algea is becoming a problem and just improve the quality of my water alltogether,so i don't need the best of the best or a high output one,just a small one that works.And budget is tight.TIA

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'd say your best bet is Spectrapure CSPDI 90 gpd. $145. BRS has a similar unit at a similar price, but the prefilters are higher micron, and it's a75gpd unit.

Just for comparison, when I first started, I bought a Coralife 24gpd RO unit (no DI) for $120.

2 people like this.
  4. grinder37

I see one on craigslist at a faily cheap price,is it worth the time and trouble?And would all of the filters and membrane need replaced?Or would it just be better to buy new?

5. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

I would agree with spectrapure u will get your moneys worth

Be sure to invest in a tds meter hand held got mine off amazon for $30

1 person likes this.
  6. grinder37

Also,which part of the system removes the phosphate?Do i need to have di?Or is just ro good enough?

7. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

Go with the DI

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

Thanks guys,i'm checking some sites out now trying to find the best deal i can.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You need DI.

If you buy a unit from craigslist or ebay, you're extremely likely either getting a subpar unit or one that needs to be gutted and replaced, at which point it makes more sense to just go with Spectrapure.

Consider this: a comparable unit (only on the surface; it doesn't have as good a prefiltration, membrane, or DI resin) to the $145 one I mentioned from foster and smith is $250+. I would say just go for the one I mentioned, and don't get ripped off like I did, then have to spend the money again buying something you could have done right the first time.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

A lot of us use these guys;
    RO/DI Systems
    I have the 5 stage.

1 person likes this.
  12. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

I do not recommend buying used as I did and could of just payed the price of a spectrapure the first time. So trying to be cheap cost me double. Go with the spectrapure and you cant go wrong.

1 person likes this.