HELP! No lights!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Ryan Duchatel, Feb 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Hey guys,

I got home today and my light was going sweet. I had dinner and came back and the light is completely off.

I did some trouble shooting and it seems that the power adaptor is completely dead. The light itself seems to be intact.

I contacted the manufacturer and they said they will check tomorrow morning if they have a spare adaptor, if not they will order one in for me but it wont arrive for 3-4 days.

What do I do for 3-4 days without light!!?????

Im pretty stressed about how my corals are going to go. The are usually under moonlight. I have a crappy old LED light that does about 30W if that and an old one bulb PC light that I can put on it. Will this last for the four days it will take to get the new adaptor????

Please help.

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i think you will be ok with the lights you have just run them longer and you should be ok

4. scvc

scvc Bristle Worm

I second that. Corals may take a couple of days to readjust once lights are back on, but all should be good.

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

3 to 4 days without light you will be fine. many reefers do a dark period, of that length of time when they are starving aglae

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Moved to-------Reef Lighting.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

What is the power adapter? If you have any electrical knowledge/skills you could find another generic adapter that outputs the same voltage and amperage, cut off the ends of the dead one and new one, splice it together and use it until they send the new one.

However, if this is something you are not completely comfortable doing, then just wait until they send the new one, or have an electrician do it for you. I would personally at least have another adapter in hand ASAP in case the company does not send it when they say they will!

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

You will be okay, just make sure everything else is running and your params are in order.

Good luck

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted.

I will try and get the guy to send me two adaptors.

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

They ship corals in boxes via UPS-FED EX for 3 or 4 days. You should be fine.

12. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Coral in the wild during extreme weather doesn't get sunlight for a few days. Should be ok.