Help new Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by antonym518, Sep 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I got a Naso tang today. traded a zoa colony for him, lfs is cool. Anyway, he has these white spots on him. Its def not ich, but like little non color spots. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      60.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

oh, he or she is already being cleaned by my cleaner, and eating algea. Spitting some of the flake.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Why do you think its not ich? Luna

5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

the day my LFS takes a zoa colony and gives me a naso tang is the day I definitely know theres something wrong with that naso tang :p

6. antonym518

Ok the fish had just arrived, and was still in the bag. thats why I got a deal on it. The colony was very large and I got 40.00 credit for it. Second I have dealt with ich before and its not elevated or grainy looking. It doesn't even look like a parasite, just these white non color areas. Some are larger then others.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I was thinking the same thing, not an even trade for the LFS. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. antonym518

This place is good. If there was something wrong with the fish he would not have sold it too me. The tang you could barely see through the shipping bag. He would not sell me a sick fish I have been getting things from him for a year. That was not the issue anyway. The zoa colony was giant and it was for his personal tank, the question was about the spots.

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

It was a better trade for your LFS since they don't have to QT that fish and treat with coppersafe, antibiotics, etc..
    Looks like ich to me, but it may also have body fungus. Are the larger spots white/gray in color and cotton-like? That would be fungus.
    Also looks like your tangs mouth is open? Is he swimming around now with his mouth open (like he can't breathe)? Might have gill parasites too...
    For a fish that looked that fu(ked up, why the hell did you put him in you display tank and not QT him and treat him first?

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Sorry, but Im going to have to go against everyone else, as I'm a fellow Naso keeper :)
    Its NORMAL on a Naso, and it's not ich. See how dark her body is? That means she is stressed/excited, or they do that when the lights are off.
    I have some great pics of mine on this thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/our-40-gallon-51802.html
    The pics at the start of the thread is of a normal, not stressed naso. The pics my girlfriend took at the bottom are of the naso after lights out (they turn the same color during lights out as when they are stressed. It was in response to Jupiter's concern about his Naso, which just happens to be the same concern as your's ;)). Being that you just got her, she's just stressed. The color changing and developing spot's are all part of normal naso behavior, and are a biological response aiding in camoflauging itself.

PS you'll love your naso. They have awesome personalities, and with a little training, will let you even pet them! By far my favorite fish!

2 people like this.
  12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

My Naso gets white patchs on him when he is stressed or I have my hands in the tank. Just the fish being normal, he will be eating out of your hands in less then 2 months if your easy with him. I love mine.