Urgent Help new red sea max 130 lights making lots of noise why?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Garydean1010, Sep 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Garydean1010

Garydean1010 Plankton

i have uploaded a video of the noise on youtube. Its not the best video as was taken with my phone.

YouTube - Red Sea max 130D lights making noise

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OEgLanfW1iw?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OEgLanfW1iw?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

To put a YT video up here, you take the number of the video, and put it inside a [ YOUTUBE ] tag, with
    [ /YOUTUBE ] at the end, no spaces inside the brackets. The video's number is on the URL; it's after "watch?v=". This video's number is OEgLanfW1iw. This way, it shows up on the page, embedded, like this:

Here's my tank, for reference:

After watching my first video, there's no way it's that loud. Let me edit that video so it's more like reality. Or take another one, with a different camera.

Different camera worked; done.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  4. Midwayman1968

Midwayman1968 Spaghetti Worm

Check the return pumps, if the pump body is touching wall of the Chamber of death... Then there will b hood vibration. You can use a chopstick to turn pump away from wall or other pump.

5. Garydean1010

Garydean1010 Plankton

having listen to yous mine sounds simliar, i think its just more noticeable as its in the living room right next to the couch! I may move the tank and see if its less noticable in a different location.

one other thing, the pumps make noise but when they are totally submerged you cant here them. if i was to lower them in the filter chamber so they were totally sumbmerged and add extra pipe so they could return the water would that be fine?

6. blackraven1425

Yeah, the tank has a bit of noise to it when you're close, but once you get more than a couple feet away it's quiet.

I would add more water to the tank if your pumps aren't submerged. They should always be underwater. The water level in the front of the tank will always be higher than the water level in the back, behind the false wall.

7. Garydean1010

Garydean1010 Plankton

se i can hear the fans on the lights 10 feet away with the telly on!!

the pumps are submerged, the water level in the tank is right to the top however the tops of pumps are out of water and thats where the noise comes from. Does your skimmer run 24 hours a day as my local fish store told me not to have it on permantly?!?!

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Well, you can run a skimmer 24/7 or not; it really depends on your style. Most people will advise to run it 24/7. If you run it, say, 6 hours a day, you're going to have more phytoplankton in the water, which will help some organisms grow, but you might also get more nitrates, which will hurt corals.

Either you have superhuman hearing, I have bad hearing, or your tank is definitely loud lol.

10. Garydean1010

Garydean1010 Plankton

I think my tank is definitly loud!! will ethier look at moving the tank or see if it it possible to disconect the fans in any way.

Well i am hopfully addling live rock to the tank over the weekend so i may run the skimmer for 12 hours a day and them monitor it from there ans see if it needs to be on more or less!